Forum Regular

Speaker placement/tweaks

Hi guys
    It's been years since I last posted. Married life and kid have not really given me the time to spend on my beloved hifi!!
    But finally getting back to it.
    So here goes, pls try to help me out.
    I've a set of Mission 731 bookshelf speakers that I really love, with my lovely Nad 3020i along with a Denon CD player. I live in a small studio and I've a sort of sideboard which is the only place that allows me to house my system. I'm able to keep the speakers about 6 feet apart and about 1.5 feet in front of the wall. But I have to place them on the wooded shelf. Any thoughts on how best I can place them?? Some recommend to keep them on top of a tile of granite, any benefits? Or would isolation rubber feet do the trick? Any other tweaks or recommendations that can help me get the optimum sound with this system considering my studio? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Placing them on some granite might help, but I would also get some sorbothane pads or sheets to place under the speakers to help with vibration.

4 Sorbo Vibration Isolation Disc Circle Feet Pad 1x1 4in 25x6mm PC Case Amp 1" | eBay

Isolate It Sorbothane Vibration Isolation Square Pad 30 Duro 50" Thick 4" X | eBay
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thank you blackraven for that reply. Would the isolation feet that come for mission/ kef bookshelves do the trick? Or do I need to get this specific material that u have indicated?

Forum Regular
    Also a friend of mine told me to get some 1/2" thick granite place them on 1/4" thick cork and then put the speakers on top of the granite. Any one had any experience on this? My sideboard that I'm placing the speakers on is solid wood but not the sturdiest piece around.

Quote Originally Posted by tony340 View Post
    Thank you blackraven for that reply. Would the isolation feet that come for mission/ kef bookshelves do the trick? Or do I need to get this specific material that u have indicated?
    I don't know what material the isolation feet are made of. Sorbothane is used in many audio applications for vibration dampening. The Granite will help as well.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    The isolation feet that I'm getting are rubber ones, are these ok or should I just dump it and just get the Sorbothane? I live in Vietnam now and the availability of these things are very poor

Thread Information