AR Newbie Registered Member

Question KEF Coda 70 - problem

Hi All –

I have a problem with a KEF Coda 70 speaker (just one of them, I own a pair). I have had these for over a year and I love them as an upgrade to the Coda 7 pair that I still own . The problem came when the amp I was using (Cambridge Audio P25) got a blown capacitor. I got a new amp and am driving the old pair of Coda 7 speakers with it – because, for some reason, not sure why, the woofer on one of the Coda 70 speakers does not work anymore; the tweeter is fine. I have opened the cabinet and everything looks pristine inside. I see no problems with the circuitry or the mechanical assembly.

I am a fan of decent sound for not too much money. So… Does anyone know what the problem might be? I do not own any electrical equipment and so have done no proper testing of bits and pieces. I do not want to get rid of the speakers if they are fixable. Also, if they are fixable, I would like to fix them—otherwise I will upgrade over the Coda 7’s, since the 70’s were a noticeable jump in quality over the 7’s (tighter, better bass extension, more immediate), and I want that back one way or another.

Thanks!

Current equipment:
    Denon PMA-300V int amp
    HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC
    Cambridge Audio azur 540D DVD player (used as CD player)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I wonder if when the capacitor failed it sent a voltage spike that killed the woofer. There are more knowledgeable members that can speak on this issue. I would remove the woofer and have a shop electrically check the voice coil. Also I am wondering if the cone may exceeded it's excursion limits. Will the cone still move? A cone can get stuck out beyond the voice coil gap and if you are very lucky you might be able to work it back into place. I would not give up on the speakers but first try to solve what happened.

Welcome to AR and more advice to come.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information