Forum Regular

Larger TV or HD cable box/

Really hate having all the black bars top & bottom on a lot of channels.
    Have Comcast with the standard cable box and Samsung 55" Led 7000 series TV.
    Also don't like the idea of stretching the picture to make I fit. People look fatter.
    Was going to get the HD Comcast box. But hate having to pa another $10.00 for each month. Wit the cable bill already high. I was just thinking longterm I would save money if I buy a larger TV like a 60". Would still have the black bars but a larger screen to make up for it. Since I was getting ready to Buy another 55"TV anyway. What do you think Thanks

I would opt for the full HD cable box or a Roku. I can't see the point of having a 55" HDTV and feeding it standard definition signals. There is more to a full HD signal than the loss of black bars. Even a 720I picture is visually better than a standard definition 480I picture.

I dropped cable. I use an antenna for over the air TV. All the networks broadcast an HD picture over the air. To replace cable I bought a Roku and subscribed to Netflix. In addition the output from the Roku box is HD. At $8 a month it's one of the best buys I can think of.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    I dropped cable. I use an antenna for over the air TV. All the networks broadcast an HD picture over the air.
    Might also be worth mentioning that HD channels over the air have much better picture quality than local HD stations feed from cable or satellite

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Which leads the OP to a simple experiment. Get some rabbit ears and plug them into the TV antenna input. Switch over to your TV tuner and take a look at what real HD looks like on a network Broadcast. If you like, then weigh your options.
    TCA ATT GGA

Thread Information