Forum Regular

Protecting your Equipment

My new place is under renovation right now...
    and just last night some people broke in and stole some tools and a breadmaker that the guy before us left behind. Anyways, how do you guys protect your equipment from theft? An amp or pre or cdp is so easy to grab.

What do you do to protect your investment besides insurance?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    My new place is under renovation right now...
    and just last night some people broke in and stole some tools and a breadmaker that the guy before us left behind. Anyways, how do you guys protect your equipment from theft? An amp or pre or cdp is so easy to grab.

What do you do to protect your investment besides insurance?

Deadbolts on doors. Alar mystem, even if it only a local one that blasts when tripped, they usually flee.
    mtrycrafts

Local police told me years ago to inscribe my name and driver's license number on my equipment. I used an electric vibrating scribe on a blank area on the back. If the gear is stolen, and is later found by police anywhere in the country, a driver's license number makes it easily traceable back to me. Avoid using social security numbers because they are more difficult for police to trace. Smart thieves will avoid taking gear that is identified this way because it more difficult to sell, but not all thieves are that smart.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerd
    Local police told me years ago to inscribe my name and driver's license number on my equipment. I used an electric vibrating scribe on a blank area on the back. If the gear is stolen, and is later found by police anywhere in the country, a driver's license number makes it easily traceable back to me. Avoid using social security numbers because they are more difficult for police to trace. Smart thieves will avoid taking gear that is identified this way because it more difficult to sell, but not all thieves are that smart.

A BIG DOG!

I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that's about 95 pounds. She has a HUGE bark and barks at anyone she does not know and sounds fearsome. She's really a wimp but thieves don't know that.

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by Swerd
    Smart thieves will avoid taking gear that is identified this way because it more difficult to sell, but not all thieves are that smart.

Most aren't smart. The majority around here are kids.....a nice LOUD alarm system helps too. Especially if you hide a second, say 100Watt siren, inside near the major expected point of entry. That will startle the crap out of them and their first reaction is usually run like hell. Of course, you need a bit of a delay so they are at least part way inside first.....

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    yeah most thieves are stupid. Well maybe not necessarily stupid, but definately careless. When you in someone elses house doing illegal activity, it isnt exactly a walk in the park.
    What if the thieves scratch out the inscription??

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    yeah most thieves are stupid. Well maybe not necessarily stupid, but definately careless. When you in someone elses house doing illegal activity, it isnt exactly a walk in the park.
    What if the thieves scratch out the inscription??

A good inscription is impossible to rub out. I inscribed my DL# on my bike while going to a college notorious for bike thefts and when I got it back it was obvious the thief tried to rub it out, but the numbers were still clearly visible.

Forum Regular
    For protection, wear a cup. Otherwise, get renter's/homeowner's insurance.

Thread Information