Amplifier Output Question

I have a 2- channel (stereo) amplifier with both RCA and XLR (balanced) outputs. I use only the RCA outputs. The XLR outputs have litte plugs in them with a resistor(?) that are there to prevent any noise from the XLR outputs being "open" so to speak. What is the official/professional name of these plugs? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by menschenstimme View Post
    I have a 2- channel (stereo) amplifier with both RCA and XLR (balanced) outputs. I use only the RCA outputs. The XLR outputs have litte plugs in them with a resistor(?) that are there to prevent any noise from the XLR outputs being "open" so to speak. What is the official/professional name of these plugs? Thank you!
    These plugs a "jumpers". You see this pretty often: they jump XLR connectors 1 (ground) and 3 (negative). They need to be in place to get best performance when using the single-ended, RCA connectors.

Suspended
    They seem to by some type of termination plug similar to the 25ohm termination plugs used in with thick-wire Ethernet networks.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    What ARE you trying to do? You asked for the name of the plugs, which was answered.

Good question, Glen!

Now that I see how complicated things can get, I should have mentioned that from the start.

The reason I am asking is because we have an XLR INPUT on the church audio system that has some random noise on the line and wonder if something like this might cancel it out since this input is rarely used. We do not want to disconnect it. But one would pull out the little plug to access the XLR INPUT. We do NOT want to MUTE this input - but it is a long story why not.

Thread Information