Forum Regular

What's better? Running 120W speakers at 120W or running 600W speakers at 200W?

Totally subjective question, i know. But was thinking about this last night. In general, assuming speaker range and response, etc is equal, would you get "better" sound from a lower wattage speaker running at full power than you would from running a higher wattage speaker at half?

Running an amp continuously at its peak output would damage it and the speakers. The 600w speaker would sound better given that the amp is not maxed out.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I would have to agree as well and would add that speaker power ratings are so different from model to model brand to brand. I run a speaker that is rated at 150 max continuous with an amp rated at 300 watts at the speakers impedance. I worry more about the amp having more than enough power to make the speaker and room they are in happy and sound good at all the volumes that you expect to listen to them at than any power rating would suggest on a speaker rating. I used to run my Dynaudios with an amp that runs at exactly their max power rating and I know for a fact that they are much happier with the more powerful amp that I have now especially giving that I have moved into a new home with a much bigger room. Room size will change power requirements for a speaker as well so with all those factors to account for I would go for more than needed rather than try to match it perfectly.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I would go for more than needed rather than try to match it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by tugmcmartin1973 View Post
    Totally subjective question, i know. But was thinking about this last night. In general, assuming speaker range and response, etc is equal, would you get "better" sound from a lower wattage speaker running at full power than you would from running a higher wattage speaker at half?
    No, you certainly would not. But then your question needs some interpretation. For a start, to run any speaker whether rated for 50 watts or 200 watts maximum continuous literally at 50 watts RMS would deafeningly loud in a home setting.

Maximum power ratings of speakers has essentially zero relevance to the maximum of your amplifier used in a home setting,. It is perfectly safe to use 500 watt RMS per channel amp with a speaker rated 50 watts continuous. Such a very powerful amp would be employed because it can deliver cleaner instantaneous peaks and better dynamics -- not because it will ever be called upon to deliver 500 watts continuously.

I'm glad you posted that Feanor. It's become tedious to respond to these kinds of questions about wattage ratings on speakers. Only those who are relatively new in this hobby pay much attention those types of ratings. Unfortunately for "newbies" they get caught up in those kinds of figures.

It seems to take a while before some folks realize that speaker wattage ratings are essentially worthless. They have nothing to do with how a speaker sounds or how loud it will play.

If you don't have enough power and try to get high volumes your amp/receiver will clip and distort and maybe blow a tweeter. If you have too much power and try to get very high volumes your speaker will get overdriven and distort and maybe blow a voice coil. Either way you get distortion and possibly blown speakers. If you pay attention to how things sound neither one of these scenarios will occur.

IOW: When it starts to sound harsh and/or distorted turn the volume down!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Let me through my thoughts in here as well. Firstly, the power figures specified are most likely rubbish as neither the distortion, length of output measured, neither a variable resistance loading is used, or the input voltage is specified. My Krell KRS200 flagship amps, i used to have made a monstrous 300 Watt per channel. That was with a 5KW power supply and at 220lbs not light either. And this was a mono block!

I have a pretty inefficent system by all accounts and use a 50 Watt tube amp. I never reach its limits and my ears will give up before it. Now, granted its 50 Watt per driver but my point is that you will not need anywhere close to that power, ever! Look for an amp with a very good power supply and even if its 50 Watt, the chance that you will clip and kill your speakers are almost nothing. If you get a DC offset, noone cares as your speakers are passive. IF during a peak you hit the limit, it will only be there for parts of a second and the be down to almost nothing again.

Get a good sounding amp, the less feedback, the less stages, the bigger the power supply the better the sound. All in my opinion and experience :-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information