Suspended

Front ported bookshelves around $500

Looking for good smallish front ported bookshelves for a bedroom setup.

Currently considering Usher S-520s but open to suggestions. Audio Engine has a pair but I have never heard them or know anyone with a pair. Polk has a few but I have never been a big fan, maybe I should be. Infinity Primus has a pair also.

Any other suggestions? I will go another $100 and would also be happy spending less.

I've never heard these myself but would consider them, particularly since AA has a liberal return policy. And, I love 6 1/2" speakers on bookshelves. IMNSHO, anything smaller doesn't qualify as a bass reproducer.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    I've never heard these myself but would consider them, particularly since AA has a liberal return policy. And, I love 6 1/2" speakers on bookshelves. IMNSHO, anything smaller doesn't qualify as a bass reproducer.
    That could be a contender but a little larger footprint than what I would like. Thanks, Mark. I do have an old sub I can integrate if needed.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Do not forget the Focal 700 series discounted at Music Direct. I think you would like the newer generation of tweeters.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Do not forget the Focal 700 series discounted at Music Direct. I think you would like the newer generation of tweeters.
    Thanks, forgot they were front ported. The 705 looks good, the 706 may be too big for the spot but I will remeasure. Good call since I do like my older JM Labs.

I was going to suggest the Focals and MA as well but also consider the NHT Abolute Zero and Classic 2. I don't believe that they are ported but I could be wrong

Bookshelf/Monitor Speakers-Audio Advisor

If you don't mind using a sub then give a listen to these Martin Logan Motion 4's. They have a neutral crystal clear and detailed sound with excellent transparency and a wide sound stage. Best Buy Magnolia stores have them. They have a very small port in the back. But they can be placed against the wall. I heard them about 4"-6" from a wall and was astounded by the sound.

MartinLogan - Motion 4 - Bookshelf Speaker-Audio Advisor

Polk also makes a few front ported speakers
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I was going to suggest the Focals and MA as well but also consider the NHT Abolute Zero and Classic 2. I don't believe that they are ported but I could be wrong

Bookshelf/Monitor Speakers-Audio Advisor

If you don't mind using a sub then give a listen to these Martin Logan Motion 4's. They have a neutral crystal clear and detailed sound with excellent transparency and a wide sound stage. Best Buy Magnolia stores have them. They have a very small port in the back. But they can be placed against the wall. I heard them about 4"-6" from a wall and was astounded by the sound.

MartinLogan - Motion 4 - Bookshelf Speaker-Audio Advisor

Polk also makes a few front ported speakers
    Thanks Raven, the MLs are quite ugly but the NHTs are pretty nice. At this moment, I am leaning towards the Focals due to looks, price and the fact that I have older JM Labs that I love. I need to measure my spot again to see if I can fit the 706s without the wife getting upset. Otherwise it will be the 705s and an old sub.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Thanks, forgot they were front ported. The 705 looks good, the 706 may be too big for the spot but I will remeasure. Good call since I do like my older JM Labs.
    Rechecking the price and $350 for the705's is a great deal.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I would say out of the speakers listing here from different people and taking price point into account I would say the original thought of the Usher 520's are a good one and frankly hard to beat in their price range. And if you get to the point that you want more low end Usher sells a base stand for the 520 that adds a low frequency driver and crossover that is perfectly set up for the 520

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Rechecking the price and $350 for the705's is a great deal.
    I know. As soon as I get home and re-measure my spot, I may be ready to order. The free shipping is also a great deal on these guys.

Thread Information