Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Smokey
  • 1 Post By JohnMichael

Thread: Back from Washington DC

Back from Washington DC

Had to take a business trip to Washington and since it was my first time there, I decided to squeeze in some sightseeing also.

The first place I went was Smithsonian Space Museum. This place is awesome and best of all admission is free. They have every thing from first flight of Wright brother and original airplane they flow, to world war I and II fighter planes, to moon landing modules and satellites.They had a big photo of astronauts fixing Hubble telescope and the part they took off that looks like a metal coffin was on display in front of photo. That was so cool.

After going thru the space museum, one get new appreciation for all the pioneer men and women pilots and astronauts who put their live on the line for advancement of humanity. These poeple are truley national heroes.

Next stop was National Gallery of Art which is right cross from space museum. I am not an art person, but my jaws was dropping from magnificent paintings and sculptures on display. Most of of paintings are from 17th and 18th century and they look so real that it look like photograph.

From the Art gallery, one could also see the Capitol building to the right and Washington Monument to the left which is walking distance.

I wished I could had time to see Lincoln Memorial and the White House, but was short on time and had to catch my plane. But planning to go back for pleasure this time as there is so much historical sites to see. I miss it already
    JohnMichael likes this.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

Next stop was National Gallery of Art which is right cross from space museum. I am not an art person, but my jaws was dropping from magnificent paintings and sculptures on display. Most of of paintings are from 17th and 18th century and they look so real that it look like photograph.

Art vs. pictures of art in a book can be jaw dropping. I am glad you had the chance to enjoy. Art like music can be enjoyed without formal education. I hope this stimulates your interest in local museums and museums as you travel.

I wish I could be in Washington for the March.
    Smokey likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Art vs. pictures of art in a book can be jaw dropping. I am glad you had the chance to enjoy. Art like music can be enjoyed without formal education. I hope this stimulates your interest in local museums and museums as you travel.
    It already has. That is why I am going back

Smithsonian have 10 museums and I only saw the air&space museum. I got to see the rest. The Art museum was definitely a high light as see the paintings in historic building just add to the awe-inspiring.

I wish I could be in Washington for the March.
    Don't wish it. Just do it

Hop on the plane and you be there in 2 or 3 hours (Reagan airport is the best). If you decide to go, study publc transportation and their routes before hand as taxis can get expensive.

It's been almost 50 years (!!) since I visited Washington and I's like to visit again. As I recall, I enjoyed visiting the Smithsonian and Nation Art Gallery; I also enjoyed the touring the Capital, etc.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

Don't wish it. Just do it

Hop on the plane and you be there in 2 or 3 hours (Reagan airport is the best). If you decide to go, study publc transportation and their routes before hand as taxis can get expensive.

If only I had weekends off I would. My client requires 24 hour care and if I could place them in suspended animation I could be in Washington. My friends who work M-F do not always understand why I am unable to join the fun. Hell this past June I was working when I should have been marching.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    It's been almost 50 years (!!) since I visited Washington and I's like to visit again.
    I don't even know if Lincoln Memorial existed back then

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    If only I had weekends off I would. My client requires 24 hour care and if I could place them in suspended animation I could be in Washington.
    I just looked at the map, and you are pretty close to Washington. So it should'nt be so hard to just take couple of days off and drive down there

Thread Information