AR Newbie Registered Member

someone please help me sort through this mess

Hello all, First let me introduce myself. My name is Nick and I am new here, so please give me the benefit of the doubt when I say that for the most part I have little idea what I'm doing and the fact that I have this pile of stuff to sort out is a series of coincidences that I will spare you the details of. I have an emotive "mini" amplifier, a technics sl v5 linear tracking vertical turntable, a pair of JBL 4311 control monitors, a klipsch promedia 5.1? 4 speaker set with subwoofer that has an amplifier built in and uses two aux outputs that I have to combine in an aux splitter, and an altec lansing 2 speaker set with subwoofer that has an amplifier built in as well. My first question is about the JBL's. These are the most sentimental pieces out of everything due to them belonging to my late father. They sound "fine" (great sound on some types of music and not so good on others). The biggest problem with them is one of the speakers (could be both although I doubt it) has difficulty with a certain frequency of bass. The music I found that sets it off the most is bass from red hot chili peppers music. Some bass sounds fine except for a certain level that bears a dullness like a crackling sound. I was told by someone that the speakers need re-coned, and that I should do both speakers at once so they sound even. It is safe to assume these speakers have never been re coned before. My other question is whether or not I could use something like this to use all three combinations at once mazon.com: Belkin RockStar 5-Way 3.5-mm Headphone Splitter (White): Electronics . My reluctance is that both the altec and the klipsch sets have their own amplifiers whereas the jbls and emotive are separate. I don't want to screw up or fry anything, but I assume as soon as it gets to the aux cord it's a non issue? Any advice anyone could shed on these would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Nick

Suspended
    The Klipsch and possibly the Altec are made for computer use and probably should be set aside. Either get the JBL re-coned or get another set of decent speakers. I've heard of the 4311's though and they may be well worth fixing. I personally would not try rigging up the Klipsch or Altec to the system.

Forum Regular
    Just curious...how old are the JBL's ? If they are old speakers it could be the crossover network inside them might need repair or the solder joints may need to be re-flowed.Follow Mr.Peabody's advice.
    Nad c270 amp
    Yamaha ax 700 integrated amp

Onkyo p304 preamp
    Adcom gfp 555 preamp
    Polk Monitor 30 speakers 2 pairs
    Polk Monitor 40 speakers
    Z-Audio Lambda headphone amp
    Little Dot MK III tube headphone amp/preamp

Sennheiser px100 headphones
    Tara Labs prism 33i interconnects
    Various Cable Pro cables

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member
    or the solder joints may need to be re-flowed.Follow Mr.Peabody's advice.

Forum Regular
    I owned the 4312 which is the 4311 turn upside down. They are old studio monitors and things have changed in monitors since then. Being monitors, the bass is controlled but not boomy, and maybe even lightweight. Overall I found the sound not very inviting for a speaker that was king in their day. I'd keep yours for sentimental reasons. You could better sound from them if you choose better amplification from an amp like a Bryston 3B or a modern tube amp.

Thread Information