Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mingus

Thread: How many miles you walk a week.

How many miles you walk a week.

Since my job is a mile from where I live, I usually walk to work as 20 minutes walk cover about a mile. I average about 12 miles of walking a week

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    My Beagle loves to be out of doors. On a work day we walk for one hour in the morning and recently on a beautiful evening we were out for almost four hours. I walk a lot. I do keep my eyes open for groundhog holes.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I do keep my eyes open for groundhog holes.
    Why? Does Beagle loves to chase them.

On average, I will give you one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. So thats six miles a day which is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Why? Does Beagle loves to chase them.

On average, I will give you one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. So thats six miles a day which is pretty good.
    Of course times 7 days so about 42 miles a week. Even in the winter we are out for a minimum of an hour in the morning and 1 1/2 hours in the evening.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Of course times 7 days so about 42 miles a week. Even in the winter we are out for a minimum of an hour in the morning and 1 1/2 hours in the evening.
    Walking in winter months is really challenging, especially in the mornings. You walk off hot shower and warm home into cold spell and it hit you hard first 5 minutes. But after the body start warming up from walking, the chill goes away.

Adjusting for 1.5 hour per evening, your total walking mile is 52 miles a week. And I thought I was doing good

Oh but you are doing good. You are self motivated. I only walk that much for the love of a good dog.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I rather enjoy walking but exercise is a big aspect.

Before I retired, I'd walk to work usually 3 time a week in the summer, one way only, about 4 miles. That was only 12 miles per week though I walked very quickly. As important for exercise, I used an elliptical device at home an additional 3 times a week for about 40 minutes per session. In the winter I walked less often, but usually twice a week depending on the state of the sidewalks that can be very icy or heavily snow-covered in this neck of the woods.

Today I walk somewhat less maybe 2-5 times a week, about 3.5 miles at a local park; I walk very quickly. Again, I use the elliptical 3-4 times a week, slightly more than before I retired. I also walk to and from the local big-box farm maybe twice a month during the summer; this is about 1.5 miles each way.

JohnMichael, maybe I'll start walking the dog in the evening at least during the summer. With our current dog, walking is mostly brisk because tends to patrol rather that sniff -- different from our late dog, (of fond memory), who spent a lot more time sniffing lampposts, fire hydrants, etc. The dog mostly gets her exercise at the dog park where my wife takes her everyday year round, severe weather excepted.

Suspended
    5miles

Forum Regular
    It's good seeing some big numbers in here. A lot of people don't realize that walking is a great way to burn calories and promote weight loss. And best of all, it doesn't cost a single penny.

I walk very little. Maybe a mile and a half during the day but that's just like around my office and to the metro.

Because of my mostly sedentary lifestyle five days a week, I have to supplement my terrible genes with jogging about five miles (eight kilometers) five times a week as well as ..... *gulp* ..... counting calories. I've only recently started to run this much but it's necessary. Trying to get into shape. And contrary to what many say, round is not a shape!

Quote Originally Posted by regular donut View Post
    Because of my mostly sedentary lifestyle five days a week, I have to supplement my terrible genes with jogging about five miles (eight kilometers) five times a week as well as ..... *gulp* ..... counting calories. I've only recently started to run this much but it's necessary. Trying to get into shape. And contrary to what many say, round is not a shape!
    Losing weight is probably one of the hardest thing to do, especially with today's life style. Soda is probably my number #1 enemy. I try to limit one can of 12oz soda a day, but yet feel bad about all that suger in my system.

I been walking to work for past year or so, and it seem any gain achieved by walking is wiped out by unhealthy diet.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Losing weight is probably one of the hardest thing to do, especially with today's life style. Soda is probably my number #1 enemy. I try to limit one can of 12oz soda a day, but yet feel bad about all that suger in my system.

I been walking to work for past year or so, and it seem any gain achieved by walking is wiped out by unhealthy diet.
    Hey, Smokey. I'm with you 100% on the soda thing. Without even trying I can down a 2 litre Coke before lunch. Yes, I have issues.

However, I have found a solution that works for me. I have discovered that it's not really the sugar I am craving. After drinking water sometimes I feel, for a lack of a better word, bored. So in order to stave off my want for soda, I drink seltzer water.

It turns out my mouth just really loves carbonated water! I have now permanently substituted soda (regular and diet) with plain seltzer water and a twist of lime. If you don't want to buy limes (I don't use limes because they will probably spoil before I get through them all) you can just get lime juice. You can just refrigerate it and it will last a lot longer than fresh limes.

Seltzer water + ice + lime juice = refreshing summer drink! No calories and no guilt. I hope you try it and love it as much as me. Maybe it can work as a soda substitute for you as well.

Forum Regular
    About 20 miles per week, mostly at a local park. If the weather is bad I use the Nordictrack treadmill and Schwinn stationary bike at home
    Smokey likes this.

If you must drink Soda the lesser of the evils is soda made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I stopped drinking diet coke due to distrust of artificial sweetners. I enjoy mineral waters with a little lime. Coffee in the AM, water midday, and wine in the evening. Lately evening has been coming earlier.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by regular donut View Post
    Seltzer water + ice + lime juice = refreshing summer drink! No calories and no guilt. I hope you try it and love it as much as me. Maybe it can work as a soda substitute for you as well.
    Thanks Donut. I will give it a try as I always keep fresh limes in the fridge. I aso like a drink call "Yogurt Shake" which is mixture of plain yougurt and crabonated water with a dash of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I enjoy mineral waters with a little lime. Coffee in the AM, water midday, and wine in the evening. Lately evening has been coming earlier.
    Clever ending

I think I am going to eliminate sodas altogether. That is less 200 calories my body have to burn.

For someone, 1 mile is a lot, but for someone, even 10 miles a day is not enough. So first you need an assessment of your own capabilities, an understanding of the ultimate goals and, of course, just a desire to walk. Personally, I want 3-5 miles every day

I walk 3-4 miles a day to lose weight. Also, to strengthen the result, I use the Lasta Weight Loss App - Features https://lasta.app/features/ . With this solution, you can lose weight, improve your health and simplify your lifestyle

Thread Information