Pro-Ject Debut III

This is my wife's Pro-Ject Debut III with a Dynavector 10x4 MKII. The system includes a Kenwood M1 amp and C2 preamp. Her record collection includes quite a few from after CDs had taken over, so I'm guessing some of them are a little rare. REM's Murmur is spinning now. The motor is nice and quiet. Just thought I'd share, for no particular reason other than I sometimes like to photograph my audio equipment.

Pro-Ject Debut III-100_5930.jpg

Suspended
    Cool, your wife is into audio, she has a nice set up, I still have a soft spot for that Kenwood Basic gear. I think The Kid has some of that too. What is your main table now? I thought you liked using vintage tables and I was curious how you thought the Debut compared?

Yes – my wife is indeed into audio. Her turntable holds its own rather well, when compared to the vintage turntables I’ve owned. If anything, where the Debut III doesn’t match up to something like my Dual 1229 and Shure V15 III – is low-end authority. It’s refined for a budget turntable, though. In the midrange, I think I like the Debut better. Part of that, though, is that I prefer the Dynavector. Another thing that made a small but worthwhile difference is switching to an Xpression platter that I picked up on eBay.

When I first joined AR, my main turntable was a Marantz 6300. It was pretty good – but it too had characteristics that the Debut does better. I think I’d choose a 6300 in nice condition over a Debut III, but there’s no shame in that. The Debut does seem to have a more open feel to the sound, perhaps sounding less clouded, more accurate. Maybe that’s an illusion, since the Debut is known to have mediocre speed accuracy. I’ve heard a tiny bit of a warble in sustained notes, on occasion.

For my own purposes, I switched to modern turntables and recently settled on a Rega P9 after a P5 and a Music Hall MMF-5. It wasn’t hard for me to leave vintage behind when I decided to reach for another level of quality. There’s high-end to be had in vintage, like the Thorens TD-124, but the Dual is my last vintage component. If I ever move on from the Rega, it will probably be to Clearaudio. Otherwise, Rega it is. I’ve been happy with it.

Suspended
    One thing about your wife's set up, the cart cost more than the table, was that by design or circumstance? A P9 is a nice table. I don't know if Clear Audio isn't a good match with Sim Audio phono stage or what but I haven't been impressed with their set ups until about the $5k point. Some day I might upgrade my table, I just don't have a lot of "quality" vinyl, most is Rock I collected in high school and over the years. If I do upgrade what do you think would make a larger improvement, going to a better cart or upgrading the table? I am pretty much a Rega fan. I did hear a Hans or Hanz table once with the Dynavector 5x10 that was impressive. I don't know that much about the company though. The table cost about $1700.00

Peabody...you may need to upgrade your table to keep up with the rest of your system. You should at least get a table starting in the $2500 and up range.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Peabody...you may need to upgrade your table to keep up with the rest of your system. You should at least get a table starting in the $2500 and up range.

Or he could add the Michell Technoweight to the tonearm and a machined subplatter to improve the P3's performance. If his P3 is not braced Michael Lim's top and bottom brace would be a good idea.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    One thing about your wife's set up, the cart cost more than the table, was that by design or circumstance? A P9 is a nice table. I don't know if Clear Audio isn't a good match with Sim Audio phono stage or what but I haven't been impressed with their set ups until about the $5k point. Some day I might upgrade my table, I just don't have a lot of "quality" vinyl, most is Rock I collected in high school and over the years. If I do upgrade what do you think would make a larger improvement, going to a better cart or upgrading the table? I am pretty much a Rega fan. I did hear a Hans or Hanz table once with the Dynavector 5x10 that was impressive. I don't know that much about the company though. The table cost about $1700.00
    It was circumstance that caused the Dynavector to wind up on the Debut. I ran across that being offered for sale for almost nothing, with a broken cantilever. I sent it off to be re-tipped and wound up with a total cost of far less than a Debut. It was a dramatic upgrade from the original Ortofon OM5E, even though one might expect the Debut to be a limiting factor.

Adding a Groove Tracer subplatter, heavy counterweight and a Rega white belt to my P5 made a substantial difference, which proved to me how much a turntable upgrade matters. It’s part of what convinced me to move up. But while I had the P5 with the upgrades on it, I changed from a Goldring 1042 to a wood Benz – and with that I heard a dramatic upgrade, as well. I spent some time with the Dynavector on it, too, before the Benz. The Dynavector definitely retained its own positive characteristics. The P5 didn’t make any of these cartridges sound alike.

The P5 responded so well to the upgrades that I think it’s a terrific turntable in that form. When I was selling it, I gave it one last listen. I felt a little remorse having to pack it up…and that was with the P9 already up and running. I think what this means to me is, I felt like finding the Benz was a bigger deal to me than moving up in turntables, but I did need to at least get above the stock P5 to feel like I was getting the most out of the Benz.

noob...almost sounds like Peabody needs to move up to the P5 and get a wood body Benz!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Thread Information