Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Peabody

Thread: The days of tax-free Internet shopping are over.

The days of tax-free Internet shopping are over.

Last year they closed a loophole for serious* ebay sellers by having paypal issue 1099-K's, large** internet retailers will now be paying state sales tax. I can see where implementing this will be costly to the retailers and their customers.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate sided with traditional retailers and financially strapped state and local governments Monday by passing a bill that would widely subject online shopping — for many a largely tax-free frontier — to state sales taxes."

Click here for the linky.

* Serious in that it's triggered by 200 transactions AND $20,000 in sales. That's a small business.

** over $1,000,000 in on-line sales

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    This topic did not last long on AudioKarma.
    Really! I could see moving it to ""Dollars and Sense", but to close it for political reasons?

Well, some, not all, of the denizens there aren't the most intelligent bunch on the net anyway.

I once made reference to "the wisdom of Solomon" in regards to a judicial decision to give a girl's mother the choice of cutting her daughter's hair or paying a stiff penalty because her daughter did the same thing to a younger girl and some whiners went crying that I started a religious thread.

It seems literary references are lost on the illiterate. More is the pity that some of the mods fall into that category as well.

[edit] Here's the link. Strange, it's the same mod. Methinks he doesn't like me.
    Last edited by markw; 05-06-2013 at 04:45 PM.

i am short on time today but their has always has been Tax's from internet buying most just don't report it

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Really! I could see moving it to ""Dollars and Sense", but to close it for political reasons?

Well, some, not all, of the denizens there aren't the most intelligent bunch on the net anyway.

I once made reference to "the wisdom of Solomon" in regards to a judicial decision to give a girl's mother the choice of cutting her daughter's hair or paying a stiff penalty because her daughter did the same thing to a younger girl and some whiners went crying that I started a religious thread.

It seems literary references are lost on the illiterate. More is the pity that some of the mods fall into that category as well.

[edit] Here's the link. Strange, it's the same mod. Methinks he doesn't like me.
    I am really surprised since Solomon is from the Vintage section of the Bible

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have ordered items and if they have a store or distribution center in my state I am charged tax. I would pay tax on anything from Parts Express.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    I don't want to over burden any business but on the other hand if a B&M who has over head has to collect and pay sales tax, so should any one operating on the internet. I have to admit I'm not going to like paying it but fair is fair. It's not right to go into a local store to take sales personnel time, the store to pay the salary and cost of displaying an item then go buy off the net to save tax.

i agree i could of brought my TT of the net and would of gotten it a lot sooner but i went to the store instead
    it didn't work out very good for me this time because the salesman their knew notting about that TT

Suspended
    Good for you, not too many internet retailers would be able to help you either. It's good to ask questions and try to find a knowledgeable source either way.

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    i agree i could of brought my TT of the net and would of gotten it a lot sooner but i went to the store instead
    it didn't work out very good for me this time because the salesman their knew notting about that TT
    bob r likes this.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    i am short on time today but their has always has been Tax's from internet buying most just don't report it
    I have never(up until recently) been taxed on anything I bought on Amazon. That is until the opened up a distribution center here in California. I get taxed now, but I also get my orders in a single day. So here is where I am okay with being taxed.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs