Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Goertz Triode Quartz 2 copper

I noticed last night that one of the TQ2 is not performing properly. The sound of the Studio 530's are so focused that a quartet I was listening to sounded like the cello player was on break. MIA so to speak. I switched cables and the cellist was back but I lost a violinist. They seem to work electrically as in no shorts or noise but the output is different. I checked my pair of Micropurls and DNM Reson's to hear if they were equal in both channels and they were.

I plan on contacting Alpha Core and having them checked and repaired. I am not sure if there was a gradual decline or the Studio 530's made the problem more obvious? Having equal output made the bass deeper.
    After the quartet and the switching cables I began to listen to "In The Heights" and was surprised by the amount of bass from 5.25 inch mid/woofer.

I always knew different cables sound different but I never had a pair that sounded different to each other.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I have owned TQ2s and Micropurls in the past and never had any problems. Really excellent value versus performance. The folks at AlphaCore are responsive, and I'm sure they will resolve your issue.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Glen I will be contacting them to find what they will do for me. I replaced the TQ2 with Micropurls and they are sounding good. I will say a functioning pair of Micropurls sound better than a pair of TQ2 with issues.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information