AR Newbie Registered Member

Portable Speaker Solutions

So my wife teaches dance and is looking for a good speaker solution. I'm told that the Bose SoundDock Portable 30-pin Speaker Dock is the best option for rooms with 30-50 students, but I feel like it has more features than she needs and is drastically overpriced - also, audio quality primary. Her needs are more like this:
    1st. Volume: Need to be able to fille the room. I'd guess between 30-50 Watts?
    2nd. Fairly Small: Needs to be a fairly small form factor. No huge boomboxes (But heck, I'll take PC speakers)
    3rd. Audio Quality.

Plugging it into the wall isn't a problem at all. It also doesn't have to have an Ipod dock, it can just have an 1/8" AUX. Probably the most important thing for us is price. I would really like to spend about 60-100 dollars. What do you guys think would be the best solution?

Suspended
    look at this thread on another site where similar has recently been discussed

AudioAficionado.org

Unlike here where lurkers can read posts but must register to post, one needs to register on that forum to simply read that thread.

Finding something that fits OPs requirements of small, cheap, loud, and with decent sound quality will be somewhat of a challange. Methinks he's gonna have to compromse somewere.

Personally, even though he ruled out boom boxes, I'd suggest if he can find one in his price range that has an aux input he jump on it.
    Last edited by markw; 04-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Suspended
    Bummer, and here I thought I was being helpful.

Samsung-DA-E750
    DA-E750 - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

Yamaha-MCR-040
    MCR-040 - Mini-Systems - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

Rockridge Sound’s VTS-384 Tube Amp for iPod
    Rockridge Sound

Arcam rCube
    Quest For Sound - High End Audio

Ruark Audio R4i review from the experts at whathifi.com

Yamaha PDX-11

Amazon.com: Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Red Dot - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

And one of my favorites but not quite what the OP wants...
    JAS BRAVO TUBE FANTASY MUSIC STATION

Dignity International Ltd

Hope that helps some.

Those are some good possible solutions. I like the Yamaha PDX-11, but I'm not sure it would meet the volume criteria since it is battery powered. And if it does, conceivably it would be more cost effective to find one that I had to plug into the wall. Ultimately, most all of those options are cost prohibitive. My non-negotiables are cost and volume.

I'm wondering about something like the Creative T10. The 10 Watt RMS output makes me think that the volume wouldn't satisfy.

These look fairly solid as they are 30 Watt, but I've never heard of them and can't find any reviews: Genius - Speaker System - Black - SP-HF1201A.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mjohnson92 View Post
    Those are some good possible solutions. I like the Yamaha PDX-11, but I'm not sure it would meet the volume criteria since it is battery powered. And if it does, conceivably it would be more cost effective to find one that I had to plug into the wall. Ultimately, most all of those options are cost prohibitive. My non-negotiables are cost and volume.

I'm wondering about something like the Creative T10. The 10 Watt RMS output makes me think that the volume wouldn't satisfy.

These look fairly solid as they are 30 Watt, but I've never heard of them and can't find any reviews: Genius - Speaker System - Black - SP-HF1201A.
    Unfortunately, if you want something that will actually sound good at a high volume in a large room, you may have to spend just a bit more than you want.

The Creative, although providing the input are really just reasonable PC speakers. The Genius may work and hopefully there is a Best Buy or other place near you that has a decent return policy so if you decide they don't cut it, you won't be stuck.

Good luck in your choice.

You seem to think watts are the key to your problem. They're not. The speaker is.

There are quite a few speakers that can fill a good sized room with clean sound with a handful of watt, but they aren't small.

Unfortunately, one of the immutable laws of physics is that the key to volume in a space is the movement of air. And, as such, the larger the speaker, the more air it can cleanly move. In most cases, simply pumping watts into a tiny speaker might reult in a bit more sound, but it certainly won't be clean.

Those are good points. I'm actually leaning towards just grabbing a couple of Bose Companion 2 speakers. I have one pair already and my wife said that the output just what she needs, and I can get them at a pretty killer price point when refurb ($77 bucks). Thanks guys, I'm really not familiar with audio systems, so those comments are helpful.

If you have an alternative to Companion 2, let me know!

Thanks guys!

Forum Regular

susu

It's great to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot. us map

Forum Regular
    Pokud hledáte web, kde si můžete koupit a dozvědět se více o Viagře, podívejte se na tento web odkaz
    . Obsahuje informace o produktech a dobrý výběr. Vaše sebevědomí bude vždy nejlepší.

Thread Information