Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar

Hear my system now...

DIY speakers playing vinyl album - YouTube

Listen at your own risk.

These are my DIY speakers running off a 6 watt t-amp and playing vinyl.

Forum Regular
    Good job and very cool. Hey, which speakers were they...on the wall or the little floor standers? Of course listening over my MAC computer speakers has it's limits but from what I could hear from your speakers...lots of clarity and balance.
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Who is the artist? I do not have very good computer speakers but the high vocal notes sounded a little hard.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Good job and very cool. Hey, which speakers were they...on the wall or the little floor standers? Of course listening over my MAC computer speakers has it's limits but from what I could hear from your speakers...lots of clarity and balance.
    I know they are hard to see, but you could see a little of one of them on the left. The bottom is beige and the tweeter sits on top. It's over 6 feet tall (ribbons). The ones on the wall are Magnepans (they were off).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Who is the artist? I do not have very good computer speakers but the high vocal notes sounded a little hard.
    That was Celine Dion. That hard sound is a little of how it was recorded. How it sounds pretty much depends on the recording. I'm not saying that the system isn't at some fault, but I have many other recordings that are very smooth.

I also noticed that when I am above the seating position, as was the camera, it gets a little brighter sounding. I did another recording and the bass is missing for the most part on computer speakers. It's much better using headphones.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 03-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    That was Celine Dion. That hard sound is a little of how it was recorded. How it sounds pretty much depends on the recording. I'm not saying that the system isn't at some fault, but I have many other recordings that are very smooth.

Oh I had no idea it was Celine.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Oh I had no idea it was Celine.
    Hey John, I'm not looking for accolades, but I thought it would be fun to actually hear someone else's system instead of just talking about it.

Here's another video of my system...

BTW, On my computer speakers it sounds not-so-good, but headphones sound pretty good.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 03-11-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Listen at your own risk.

These are my DIY speakers running off a 6 watt t-amp and playing vinyl.
    Good job on the Newform/Seas speakers in particular.

I would like to see pictures of your speakers. There are too many variables to have an appreciation of the sound.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I would like to see pictures of your speakers. There are too many variables to have an appreciation of the sound.
    You can see them in the second video I posted. This did not sound good on my computer speakers, I had to use headphones to get a decent sound. Actually, I'm rather surprised that the recording did as good a job as it did, but it's still not completely faithful to what I hear here. At least you can hear the clarity which is what matters to me the most. Also, I think the vinyl sounds pretty good too.

DIY speakers playing vinyl album 2nd song - YouTube

They are a work in progress as you can see. Originally I used two woofers, but that was too much for the tweeter. Keep in mind that these only cost me about $600 not counting the crossover parts.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 03-11-2013 at 06:45 AM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I do have decent computer speakers(5.1 system with a 10" sub), and you are very right. Not only the vocals, but it sounds like the entire system is midrange and treble heavy, and very bass light.

This system screams for a high quality subwoofer(or two) in the hands of a knowledgeable person.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

You know who's speakers I'd like to hear is Poultrygeist. I find his DIY's very interesting...

You can see them in the second video I posted. This did not sound good on my computer speakers, I had to use headphones to get a decent sound. Actually, I'm rather surprised that the recording did as good a job as it did, but it's still not completely faithful to what I hear here. At least you can hear the clarity which is what matters to me the most. Also, I think the vinyl sounds pretty good too.

DIY speakers playing vinyl album 2nd song - YouTube

They are a work in progress as you can see. Originally I used two woofers, but that was too much for the tweeter. Keep in mind that these only cost me about $600 not counting the crossover parts.
    Nice...that a nice huge tweeter. Which Album is that by her?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I do have decent computer speakers(5.1 system with a 10" sub), and you are very right. Not only the vocals, but it sounds like the entire system is midrange and treble heavy, and very bass light.

This system screams for a high quality subwoofer(or two) in the hands of a knowledgeable person.
    Like I said, the recording isn't a perfect rendition of what I hear at home. The bass is what's missing the most in the recording. I suppose that would be the fault of the camera (?). So you're right that on Youtube it sounds tilted towards the top end.

Still, you have to admit that, especially for the cost, this system is not lacking in transparency. Another thing the recording doesn't show is the soundstage. Here's it's very 3 dimensional, the recording only hints at it. Oh, the other thing too is that the recording doesn't show the extent of the transparency. It also, is better live, but I suppose that's the nature of Youtube and/or the camera.

BTW, even though the bass is decent "live" I do plan to build a sub in the future. It will be sealed and servo when I get around to it. There are only a few recording that I own that need the extra octave.

Another thing about the bass in this system is that it's very dynamic, (depending on the recording).

I expected you to say worse things so I take your review as a compliment. Thanks T.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 03-12-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Nice...that a nice huge tweeter. Which Album is that by her?
    The album title is "C'est Pour Toi"

Sounded very airy and clear, another recording of another artist could help make the bass come out. Just heard second video, much better and balanced than the first. Big thumbs up on the DIY
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Great job and it sounds great. You can tell that there is a lot of detail from the recording.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Like I said, the recording isn't a perfect rendition of what I hear at home. The bass is what's missing the most in the recording. I suppose that would be the fault of the camera (?). So you're right that on Youtube it sounds tilted towards the top end.
    I also know that youtube video's use heavy compression in the audio, and that can make the sound very bright.

Still, you have to admit that, especially for the cost, this system is not lacking in transparency. Another thing the recording doesn't show is the soundstage. Here's it's very 3 dimensional, the recording only hints at it. Oh, the other thing too is that the recording doesn't show the extent of the transparency. It also, is better live, but I suppose that's the nature of Youtube and/or the camera.
    I am sure it is better live, it was not all that bad recorded. But a single microphone does not just capture the sound of the speakers, but it also captures the sound of the room as well. The quality you got for the price makes your system an excellent value.

BTW, even though the bass is decent "live" I do plan to build a sub in the future. It will be sealed and servo when I get around to it. There are only a few recording that I own that need the extra octave.

Another thing about the bass in this system is that it's very dynamic, (depending on the recording).

I expected you to say worse things so I take your review as a compliment. Thanks T.
    Take it as a compliment, you deserve it. I am not as petty as you seem to think I am. While our ideas on system performance, setup, tuning, and calibration are polar opposite, good sound is good sound.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs