Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New, mid-price Schiitt Bifrost DAC on the way

Fair well to el Cheapo DACs for now. I'm stepping up to a (lower) mid-price DAC, the Schiit Audio BIFROST DAC, (see HERE).

I was impressed with reviews and with comments by AA "Inmates". This DAC has the following features:

• Cute name
    • Made in the USA
    • Non-upsampling / sample rate conversion
    • Up to 24 bit / 192 kHz
    • Upgradeable design
    • High-end AKM4399 32 bit DAC chip
    • Class A, no-feedback, discrete FET (opamp-less), output
    • S/PDIF input via CS8416 receiver
    • (Optional, which I got) USB input via C-Media CM6631 asynchronous receiver that will work up to 24/192 with the custom driver Schiit will supply.

Of all the technical junk, I was least impressed by the CS8416 S/PDIF receiver which is a pretty standard, low cost device; that's partly why I added the optional USB with its asynchronous receiver.

I will report further in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Great! Looking forward to your experience. Good luck with it.
    I like sulung tang.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Fair well to el Cheapo DACs for now. I'm stepping up to (lower) mid-price DAC, the Schiit Audio BIFROST DAC
    I've also read a number of good reports of the Bifrost. The Squeezebox Touch also uses an AKM chip. although it is the 4420 with a built in buffer stage used for output - instead of a separate op amp.

Maybe that will truly be your burning bridge to Asgard, er digital happiness via some good Schiit.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    I've also read a number of good reports of the Bifrost. The Squeezebox Touch also uses an AKM chip. although it is the 4420 with a built in buffer stage used for output - instead of a separate op amp.

Maybe that will truly be your burning bridge to Asgard, er digital happiness via some good Schiit.
    So maybe I get some insight in to the virtues of discrete vs. opamp analog. I see the design has an RFI/EMF filter on the AC input which has to be a good thing.

I also note the 5 year warranty.

So maybe I get some insight in to the virtues of discrete vs. opamp analog. I see the design has an RFI/EMF filter on the AC input which has to be a good thing.
    Indeed. My current ARC DAC (also using JFETs) fares better than the op amp driven GamuT that preceded it.

Nice pick up. People really like the Schiitt DAC's from what I have read. The new Van Alstine DAC's don't use op amps like this unit. I am looking forward to your review!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I talked with a guy from audio advisor that spoke highly of Schiitt tube headphone amps. Anyone used there headphone amps?

Feanor, how about giving us a review of the Bitfrost!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Feanor, how about giving us a review of the Bitfrost!
    Will do within a few days of receiving it. Presently it's still en route in no-man's-land between the USPS and Canada Post. What is a trifle disappointing is that Schiit took from Feb.27 when I placed the order to Mar.06 to physically hand it over to the USPS.

My Schiit has arrived!!

I have hooked it up the Bifrost and down loaded the custom driver for <96kHz files. So far I've done only a little listening to the USB interface but it works including for 24/192. I have yet to try the coax and optical.

Likely the unit will benefit from more burn-in than the 2 hours it's had so far, but these are my initial impressions:
    • Resolution is as good as I've heard
    • "Musicality" is on a par with the Schiit Modi I discussed recently, i.e. highs are less shrill than the SMSL DAC I was using 'till recently
    • Microdynamics (or PRaT if you prefer), is stronger than what I've heard and/or it's a bit forward and/or it's just that the voltage output of the unit is higher (which is true) -- I'm hoping that better microdynamics is what I'm actually hearing.

Sounds like you have a winner there! Post a review when it is burned in. Congrats!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Good deal. I'm sure you'll be spending some quality time with your music this weekend.

I leave my SS DAC powered up 24/7.

Good deal. I'm sure you'll be spending some quality time with your music this weekend.

I leave my SS DAC powered up 24/7.
    So do I, though the Bifrost has a rear on/off switch for the ecofreaks.

My old Assemblage 1.5 DAC didn't even have an on/off. I think I'll haul out that old, 20-bit "ladder" DAC for comparison with the Bifrost though it won't do hi-rez except for decoded HDCD, (20-bit I think).

Early post-initial impressions.

I'll observe that I've had seven DACs, (nine including CDPs), over the last 5-6 years so I have a far basis of comparison -- although all have been cheap to lower mid-priced devices. Most noteworthy of the others are:

• Assemblage 1.5 20-bit "ladder" DAC with HDCD decoding
    • SMSL SD-1955
    • Schiit Modi.

All my listening has been to computer files using Foobar2000 via my Jolida passive preamp to my Class D Audio SDS-258 amp. I might note that the amp is clean and quite grain-free but rather austere or some might say "sterile", and quite unforgiving of upstream faults including the recording. Burn-in at this point is about 6 hours. I have tried both the USB and S/PDIF coax inputs: both work at 192kHz and have pretty much an identical character.

Bifrost characteristics, (relative to my other DACs):

1. Really great PRaT, (microdynamics)
    2. Relatively full, robust, but somewhat forward midrange
    3. Very good resolution & transparency
    4. Very good depth & width of soundstage

Bifrost relative to specific DACs:

• vs. Assemblage 1.5: Distinctly fuller midrange -- the Assemblage is rather "thin". Generally better in the characteristics above
    • vs. SMSL SD-1955: Lacks the shrill top highs of the SMSL; generally better as above
    • vs. Schiit Modi: extended highs vs. Modi's very slighly rolled off highs; stronger PRaT; generally better as above except about equal for midrange fullness.

So far the Bifrost looks like a keeper. If there is a weakness, it's the somewhat forward midrange presentation. Great PRaT is probably the single most notable favorable quality.

But BTW, the Schiit Modi is remarkably appealing & listenable DAC at a much lower price, and recommend it strongly for anybody with a limited budget and only needing a USB interface

Sounds like a winner. Honestly, Inexpensive DACs are getting so much better. While the trusty Touch w/linear isn't as transparent as the Audio Research, its sins are largely of omission. Which, BTW is the topic of an editorial in the current TAS.

Right now I'm really enjoying listening to the garage system outdoors in the 80 degree weather in jeans, T-shirt and flops.

Oh, slightly belated happy birthday! Mine is one week after yours.

Sounds like a winner. Honestly, Inexpensive DACs are getting so much better. While the trusty Touch w/linear isn't as transparent as the Audio Research, its sins are largely of omission. Which, BTW is the topic of an editorial in the current TAS.

Right now I'm really enjoying listening to the garage system outdoors in the 80 degree weather in jeans, T-shirt and flops.

Oh, slightly belated happy birthday! Mine is one week after yours.
    Thanks for the good wishes, Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by partyspeakers View Post
    What's PRaT?

Pace, Rhythm and Timing
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Further impressions

Further impressions =>

Now with >25 hours of burn-in the unit should now be stabilizing. My early impressions are confirmed and enhanced ...

Bifrost characteristics, (relative to my other DACs):

1. Really great PRaT, (microdynamics)
    2. Relatively full, robust, but somewhat forward midrange
    3. Very good resolution & transparency
    4. Very good depth & width of soundstage ...
    Actually the positive above were understated. What I'm hearing is more palpable instruments and voices, more like real performers in a real space. Furthermore the stronger dynamics/PRaT have made percussions sounds, including piano, virtually a new experience.

This is well beyond my expectations -- it's the stuff of audiophile delight. I know it's a cliché but almost like hearing my recordings for the first time.

I note that my "early post-initial" impressions were mostly established using the S/PDIF interface; shortly after my earlier post I switch to the USB interface and I'm pretty sure I am hearing sweeter, more transparent highs and maybe less obtrusive midrange forwardness.

I suspect my better result with USB is more than burn-in because I noticed it immediately when I switched over. The reason might be just that my S/PDIF cable is too long: it's 30 feet, and while S/PDIF cables should be longer than 1.5 m (~6 ft) according to techno-pundits, they should ideally be shorter than 12 ft. In any case the Schiit's custom USB driver is highly effective
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-19-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It is always gratifying when a new piece of kit works out.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It is always gratifying when a new piece of kit works out.
    Thanks; yes, like I said, this is what the audiophile experience is all about.

My expectations were exceed though not necessarily in the way I expected. Having tried Schiit's much lower priced MODI and enjoyed its smoother, slightly fuller-bodied presentation, I expected the BIFROST to be more of the same. Instead the BIFROST is neutral and doesn't cloak the upstream nasties the way MODI does to some extent. Rather, as indicated, its strengths are transparency and PRaT, (though it's a bit fuller-bodied than my other, older DACs).

I'm also glad to note the my Class D Audio SDS-258 amp and my Magneplanar speakers are able to convey, and not cloak, the superior qualities of the BIFROST. On that point, my opinion is the Class D Audio amp remains that it is a garbage in => garbage out, quality in => quality out device.

Thanks; yes, like I said, this is what the audiophile experience is all about.

I'm also glad to note the my Class D Audio SDS-258 amp and my Magneplanar speakers are able to convey, and not cloak, the superior qualities of the BIFROST. On that point, my opinion is the Class D Audio amp remains that it is a garbage in => garbage out, quality in => quality out device.
    I really like my Class D Audio CDA-254 amp. They are quality amps and as you say, they convey the quality of music that is put into them. For the money, there is no amp that compares. They are not perfect, leaning a little to the bright side but paired with the right gear they are stellar amps.

Does the Bitfrost tame some of the brightness of the amp? My GF DAC-11 with the tube upgrade did this for me and took the sound of my MMG's to a new level of sound quality and enjoyment.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I really like my Class D Audio CDA-254 amp. They are quality amps and as you say, they convey the quality of music that is put into them. For the money, there is no amp that compares. They are not perfect, leaning a little to the bright side but paired with the right gear they are stellar amps.

Does the Bitfrost tame some of the brightness of the amp? My GF DAC-11 with the tube upgrade did this for me and took the sound of my MMG's to a new level of sound quality and enjoyment.
    Succinctly, no, the Bifrost does nothing to tame, cloak, hide, mask, or mitigate the class D brightness: it's tonally very neutral. I guess if want to do that you're going to need a different amp or a tube preamp, tube buffer, or the like.

Personally I could loose some of the brightness, but not at the expense of loosing transparency, detail, or dynamics.

Feanor, I was just on the AC forum reading in the planar circle about a guy who decided to try a Peach Tree Nova integrated amp/dac combo with his Magnepan 3.7's. He loves the sound. I did not know this but the Nova has a built in tube preamp using 6N1P tubes that AVA.hifi use to use. PT did this to tame the version 2 Class D Audio Amps that it puts in the Nova.

Is Peachtree Audio Full of It?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Feanor, I was just on the AC forum reading in the planar circle about a guy who decided to try a Peach Tree Nova integrated amp/dac combo with his Magnepan 3.7's. He loves the sound. I did not know this but the Nova has a built in tube preamp using 6N1P tubes that AVA.hifi use to use. PT did this to tame the version 2 Class D Audio Amps that it puts in the Nova.

Is Peachtree Audio Full of It?
    That's interesting. Their 'nova125' integrated looks like a great deal combining Sabre DAC, tube-buffered preamp, and 125wpc class D power amp for MSRP $1499.

On the other hand much less of a deal is Peachtree's 220 power amp that looks suspiciously like Class D Audio's SDS-440CS amp -- except 2x the price !!!

I'll repeat what I've said on several occasions: these Class D Audio amps, (I have an SDS model), sound just fine with really good recordings -- it's the crappy recordings and/or poor associated equipment that makes them sound bad. I say this again with emphasis now that i have the BIFROST, which for its part, is neutral but provides superior transparency & PRaT.

I suspect the same garbage in/out, quality in/out principle applies to various other class D makes as well as A/B solid states like Bryston or Krell that are so often maligned by many audiophiles.

Also, I'm sticking with my hypothesis that injecting a little 2nd order harmonic distorion into a system can mask nasties from recording or other components, whether this is done with a tube DAC, standalone tube buffer, tube preamp, a tube power amp -- or may be any decent s/s amp with zero or minimum negative feedback. (Hello, Pass Labs.)
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-22-2013 at 05:49 AM.

I certainly agree with your point about tubes injecting some harmonics or distortion. But if the end result is a more pleasing or likable sound then it is a non issue. With my hybrid tube gear, I have many different tubes that have different sound. Some certainly have a more detailed and resolving sound while others have an overly warm and smoothed over sound with less detail, especially in the high frequencies. But I have found tubes that offer the best of both worlds, removing any high frequency harshness and giving me a neutral to slightly warm sound that greatly appeals to me with out loosing detail and resolution.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP