Looking to buy an new HT processor. What would you recommend?

My original 7.1 was a Lexicon DC2 and I love it, but it became obsolete when all the new audio formats came on the horizon.

I upgraded to the Rotel RSP 1098 and later upgraded it with HDMI inputs, although they only handle video.

I'm having some issues with this processor and, rather than spending would could be hundreds to repair it, think it would make more sense to get something current. My Adcom amps are just fine, as is my Oppo Blu-Ray player, so I'm not going to go the receiver route.

I don't have an unlimited budget and would like to keep it to less than $2,000 if possible. That's not to say I would never spend more, but there would have to be proper justification.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 02-23-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I have been reading that the new Marantz preamp processors are some very good units that can handle all the new formats and also do the 2 channel music or multi channel music whichever you wish. I have also talked to people that seem to like Onkyo's Integra Preamp processor. I have looked and marantz has a pre pro that lists for under $2,000 (model 7701) and they also have a upper level model but it is set at a $3500 msrp price which is above your stated price point. There are people on this site that personally have a marantz pre pro and seem to be happy with it and if it was me I think I would go the Marantz route if I were in your shoes just do to what I have read and peoples description of the sound of the Marantz and how it is not the "typical" brightness that some of these all in one processing units seem to have. I use a Yamaha receiver as a Pre pro but I keep my music preamp (Nuforce P8) and my movie preamp (Yamaha) totally separate and actually do not even hook my PS audio Dac to my Yamaha. I do that so that I can keep my 2 channel setup totally pure and have the best quality I can get without any processing disturbing my 2 channel audio chain because that is my most important part of my system. But most people could probably be plenty happy running the Marantz pre pro as their music and movie preamp as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

How about one of these NAD processors which are modular and the electronics can be upgraded as new formats come about. It is a nice way to future proof the processor.

T 187 Surround Sound Preamp Processor - NAD Electronics

Here are some of the modules that are available now-

MDC Modules - NAD Electronics
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    The Marantz 7701 is a good rec, as well the NAD. I've been very happy with the Marantz 8003, no issues at all. A friend of a friend bought the most recent Onkyo processor and he is having quirky issues with it and I still have to unplug my Onkyo receiver to reset it occasionally when it refuses to pass video.

Looks pretty sweet but sells for about $3,000.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    How about one of these NAD processors which are modular and the electronics can be upgraded as new formats come about. It is a nice way to future proof the processor.

T 187 Surround Sound Preamp Processor - NAD Electronics

Here are some of the modules that are available now-

MDC Modules - NAD Electronics
    I could pick up the Marantz 7701 for $1,249 right now, so all things being the same, I'd rather save $1750 or so right now than than have the convenience of being 'future proof'.

Thanks!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    The Marantz 7701 is a good rec, as well the NAD. I've been very happy with the Marantz 8003, no issues at all. A friend of a friend bought the most recent Onkyo processor and he is having quirky issues with it and I still have to unplug my Onkyo receiver to reset it occasionally when it refuses to pass video.
    I was already checking that out and I'm nearly 100% sure that's what I'm going to buy at this point. Hoping to get $500 or so by selling my Rotel.

Thanks!

Swish

I didn't realize that the T-187 sells for $3K. Enjoy the Marantz, I prefer their sound over NAD. I would love to have an all Marantz Reference system.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Of course, we will want to hear about how the 7701 does.

Of course, we will want to hear about how the 7701 does.
    I just received my Marantz AV 7701 today and will, hopefully, set it up tonight or, at worst, this weekend.

Any suggestions on selling my Rotel RSP 1098?

Suspended
    I'm not sure how your local Craigslist is but that would be a free option, Audiogon has taken a lot of heat since changing but for $4.00 you can throw it up to see if any one bites, and, of course, there's Ebay. As we do here, many forums have classifieds.

I'm not sure how your local Craigslist is but that would be a free option, Audiogon has taken a lot of heat since changing but for $4.00 you can throw it up to see if any one bites, and, of course, there's Ebay. As we do here, many forums have classifieds.
    Yes, I was being somewhat coy and hoping someone would ask my how much I want for. I'm a big e-bay user and have been watching the ads for them. So many are asking $1000 or more as a 'Buy it Now' price but that's just crazy. I'd take a quick $650 (plus shipping) for this, and they were selling for $3,200 when new. Mine is in excellent condition and I have the original packaging too. I guess I'll see if I can move it on e-bay.

Thread Information