Tumbleweeds are rolling by my new turntable

This room became a ghost town, complete with tumbleweeds rolling down Main Street, so I thought I'd post a picture of my new-to-me Rega P9. I needed something with a higher list price than my cartridge, so the analog planets would align.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Wow I am suffering from ttable envy. The ceramic platter is reported to be the most expensive part of the ttable. I do not even have many tweak ideas for the ttable. Well the Michell Technoweight which is a lowered counterweight can improve tracking. Other than that I got nothin'. Great table and is that a wood bodied Benz cartridge I see.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

It is indeed a wood Benz. I'd like to experiment with a Rega cartridge on the P9, some day. Maybe when the Benz is off for a retip, which won't be soon. I like the idea of the Michell Technoweight. This turntable is wonderful. I haven't been picking it apart with critical listening...just enjoying the music.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Cool table! I wanted a P25. By the time I could get one, the new ones were long gone. I finally got a P5 last summer and picked up the tt-psu at the end of the year. My high output mc cart is a little long in the tooth. I'm thinking of maybe the dynavector 10x5. My current cart is an Ortofon mc3 turbo. Its output is a little higher than most high output MCs. I can't get my ajdustments on my Jolida jd9 just right. I think I need an MC with a little lower output but I'm afraid to go too low.

Anyhow, great pic!

I just sold my P5, today. I had a Dynavector 10X4 MKII on it for a little while. It's a great cartridge for a Rega. I moved it to my wife's Pro-Ject when I got the Benz. Before I packed up the P5, I gave it one more play with the Elys cartridge I sold along with it. It sounded great...made me want to keep it. It had to go, though. I'm on a mission to have no inactive audio gear. I'm getting close.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    This turntable is wonderful. I haven't been picking it apart with critical listening...just enjoying the music.
    And that my friend is audio Valhalla... nice to see you have arrived. It's a tough path, especially when you are knowledgable in this hobby. It takes a certain level/combination of gear, along with the right mindset to step off of the merry go round.

I have been content for sometime now, but much like an alcoholic or junkie, it's easy to fall off the wagon. What starts out as a small tweak can snowball into a whole lot of doubt and uncertainty.

You have an incredible system noob, you deserve a break from the gear side. Spend your money on some great vinyl, and your time in front of those Proacs.

chubbs

Yes...the P9 put the brakes on the merry go round. It's the turntable I really wanted. I just wasn't comfortable with spending that kind of money. I think the fever over the RP8 may have had a hand in depressing the prices for the used P9. Now, I'll try again to leave the system alone.

I have always loved the look of those tables, especially the maple trim you went with. Have never heard them, so this is only an aesthetic comment. But yeah, looks great.

Yeah noob...that is a nice table. Congrats!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Thread Information