3D TV is dead says BBC controller

3D TV is dead and 4K Ultra HD TV already matters far more than 3D ever did, according to the controller of production for BBC North.

Mark Harrison, reporting his findings from CES 2013 for Broadcast, stated that Ultra HD TV, along with smart TV, was the star of this year's show – and that together they sounded the death knell for 3D TV.

"3D’s place has been taken by 4K, or Ultra HD. We are years away from being able to make and transmit in 4K, yet it matters far more than 3D ever did: it enables manufacturers to focus on making bigger, better, normal TVs."

Content for the next generation of Ultra HD TVs remains a sticky subject however. Harrison suggests that making 4K Ultra HD content, will be the focus: "That means that while budgets get tighter, the need to make high-quality digital output that can hold its own on a screen next to on-demand 4K movies will ensure production remains ambitious."

3D TV is dead says BBC controller | whathifi.com

I imagine that they are right. We use Ultra High def black and white monitors for reviewing xrays at work. The detail is amazing. The monitors cost about $15K.

4K HD is going to cause problems with hollywood. 1080p already shows too much detail and can make special effects look fake and it shows the actors skin blemishes and wrinkles so that they sometimes use diffusion filters to soften things up.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I knew as soon as I got a 3d capable tv that it would be all over. Feature came by default so I really don't care much to wear 2 pairs of glasses to watch a movie.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    First, this is false - 3D is far from done. Second, those 4K/ultra high definition already come 3D capable, and 3D ultra high def sets actually benefit 3D by giving us 1080p PER EYE, instead of what we currently have. It also helps that most of them coming out have passive 3D, which is a lot easier on the eyes.

At CES there were 3D ultra high def sets everywhere. 3D is just not getting the press that new 4K is. AVS in their reporting at CES said there were actually MORE 3D products this year than last.

Now 3D Broadcast is sure enough dead, while sales of 3D bundles on Bluray are surging. Broadcasters that dedicated channels to 3D have been forced to shutter them, while Hollywood is 3D'ing every movie they can get a hold of.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    You're really gonna rely on the word of the Brits...they can't win a war or make a proper plate of food

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    you're really gonna rely on the word of the brits...they can't win a war or make a proper plate of food
    lolololololol!!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    4K HD is going to cause problems with hollywood. 1080p already shows too much detail and can make special effects look fake and it shows the actors skin blemishes and wrinkles so that they sometimes use diffusion filters to soften things up.
    I agree. Last year I saw Ten Commandments for the first time in HD and high resolution does not treat this film too well. The background look all too fake and and it is very apparent where blue screen was used behind the actors to compose a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir TT
    First, this is false - 3D is far from done. Second, those 4K/ultra high definition already come 3D capable, and 3D ultra high def sets actually benefit 3D by giving us 1080p PER EYE, instead of what we currently have. It also helps that most of them coming out have passive 3D, which is a lot easier on the eyes.
    I think you just gave us the main reasons why 3D as it stand today might be have fallen by the wayside. Not being 1080p and easy on the eyes

With 4k TVs, 3D will be an option rather than main reason to upgrade the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    You're really gonna rely on the word of the Brits...they can't win a war or make a proper plate of food
    But you can't deny that the Brits gave us some of greatest bands in rock history

Thread Information