Thread: Auto Rip

Suspended

Auto Rip

Amazon offers free MP3s for purchased CDs: Amazon announced Thursday that it will give free digital versions of CD tracks to those who’ve purchased physical discs from the online retailer.
    Called “AutoRip,” the service automatically adds MP3 versions of songs onto the company’s Cloud Player. According to a release from Amazon, the service will work not only with new CD purchases but any CD purchase made on Amazon since 1998. The feature doesn’t apply to every album, only those designated as “AutoRip” tracks. Amazon is rolling out an initial batch of 50,000 albums from several major record labels that will work with AutoRip, but it’s not a comprehensive feature.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Interesting. I don't use cloud streaming...yet. I'm Luddite enough to load my player myself. But, I'd be curious to see how well they've kept track of the bazillion CDs that I've bought on Amazon going however far back it goes.
    TCA ATT GGA

Not bad from a backup point of view, but Amazon Mp3 files are only 260 something bitrate? so for Flac people it would be a no go. I rip all of my CD's at 320Bitrate, so only a slight difference. I have d/l a few songs and albums from amazon, just recently d/l for free a Classical collection of Christmas songs.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

The resolution would be a deal breaker for me too if and when I get into digital music. I keep thinking go analog and get a TT. But the cost is holding me back for the TT and every thing else that goes with it. So hi rez digital has been on my mind!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Amazon offers free MP3s for purchased CDs:
    Close, but no cigar. The only reason I buy CDs is to get uncompressed content. With the disk, I rip to lossless FLAC for the music server and MP4 for my phone. You can always dumb down lossless rips.

If all I wanted was lo-rez MP3 stuff, I'd buy it immediately online - and often cheaper because I could cherry pick the tracks.

I guess this *service* is for the technically challenged who still spin disks and want something for their portable players.

Suspended
    You talking about me? I'm worse than that, I never downloaded until Amazon gave me free ones, then I thought why not try it to get some songs where it's not worth getting the album. I didn't set up a cloud, it's just there, when I discovered I had one I was really surprised all the songs I downloaded for free were there. I need to go see what CD's are in there now. Except for those all the songs on my mp3 are from rips out of my own collection.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    Close, but no cigar. The only reason I buy CDs is to get uncompressed content. With the disk, I rip to lossless FLAC for the music server and MP4 for my phone. You can always dumb down lossless rips.

If all I wanted was lo-rez MP3 stuff, I'd buy it immediately online - and often cheaper because I could cherry pick the tracks.

I guess this *service* is for the technically challenged who still spin disks and want something for their portable players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    You talking about me? I'm worse than that, I never downloaded until Amazon gave me free ones, then I thought why not try it to get some songs where it's not worth getting the album.
    Since your T+A player (love that brand name!) supports streaming, you really ought to network your computer to it via CAT6 cable. I cannot tell you how spoiled I've become using a music server.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Well, well. Look what Amazon just sent me...

Dear noddin0ff,

We thought you'd like to know that eligible songs from 152 CDs you have purchased from Amazon are being added to your Cloud Player library. This means that high-quality MP3 versions of these songs are available for you to play or download from Cloud Player for FREE. You can find your songs in the "Purchased" playlist. Please note that some songs from the above CDs are not eligible for this feature and may not be available in your Cloud Player library.

Somebody has been keeping track...not sure if I'll use it or not since I've got it all lossless anyway but you never know.
    TCA ATT GGA

I got the same email from Amazon. They're not kidding when they say some songs from some CD's won't be there. In addition none of the classical CD's I've purchased are in "the cloud". My purchases are already residing on my music server as FLAC files.

I downloaded and burned the MP3's to a couple of CD's as there is a limited amount of space in the cloud unless you pay. I'll probably never use the MP3's. I just can't resist anything free.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information