AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Where to sell high-end and vintage audio equipment?

Greetings. I'm looking for your opinions on where I might best be able to sell and get reasonable prices for some very, very high end audio equipment and a large collection of vintage equipment. My brother is a retired collector/hoarder with more money than brains. He likes records and has some really high-end audio stuff that he bought a few years ago during a huge buying binge. The audio portion of this buying spree included several $20k+ Avid and some similarly priced Clearaudio turntables, along with the appropriate arms and cartridges (1 cartridge cost him $12k....). He also has a LOT of vintage stereo equipment from Marantz (Smith designs, model 18 and older) and McIntosh components and a bunch of open-tube systems. He's even got some newer pieces, like a 400 disc Sony blu-ray player he paid several thousand dollars for in 2009, that are still in the box. He's got a bunch of HP and Tektronix audio testing and calibration equipment and, of course, he has countless numbers of LPs including many master recordings.

I agreed to help him sell his audio, astronomy, car and camera collections. I've been selling some of the easier stuff on eBay (look up hodgepodgerama), but I have not yet started to sell any of the audio stuff yet. I will be catologing all of the audio equipment after the first of the year and hope to have a handle on the best selling venues by then. (I am listing this message on a couple of sites...)

I see there is a terrific vintage forum here so I'm hoping some ofyou will be interested in some of this stuff once I figure out where to list it.

So...what do you suggest?

Thanks,

Scott

The best place I know of to sell high or higher end audio gear is Audiogon.

Most strictly "vintage" buyers/enthusiasts are quite frugal with their wallet. They're also usually more interested in 70's and early 80's Japanese receivers and associated gear. Probably the best place to sell that sort of gear is Audio Karma.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Audiogon for the high end stuff, and eBay for the vintage items. AK members scour eBay for vintage equipment. I know I do. I've had good luck selling and buying vintage pieces on eBay, my most recent sale just two weeks ago.

Thanks for the great leads! I will continue to list items on eBay and will look at Audiogon for the high-end stuff. I do not have a complete inventory yet, but based on the other stuff I've been selling for this collector, some of it should be very interesting.

Suspended
    For a short time you may want to subscribe to Audigon's Bluebook, some of the old Marantz pieces can bring thousands, many times it's original retail. When selling vintage it helps to know what is a true sought after piece and what is just old. Sounds like your brother may have some real collector pieces.

I don't know if it's worth keeping up with all the listings but all the audio forums have some type of for sale area. Audio Asylum has a "market place" Audio Circle just has a forum but they seem to get a surprising amount of traffic on it.

Hello,
    I am currently selling the same kind of articles which I bough at some hi end fairs in Italy.
    I think you should try different audio equipment forums, in addiction to eBay, subito.it (i Italy is very famous), Amazon.

Also post on the Audio Circles forum in the Trading Post section, its free and there are thousands of members. The Audio Shark forum is another place as most of the members have systems costing tens of thousands of dollars to over $100,000.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thank you all, I had the same needs with some high end loudspeakers and this discussion helped me a lot!

Forum Regular
    Ebay is good and your potential audience is immense. The chances are you'll find a the right buyer, even if you have to keep renewing your ad until you do.

Thread Information