AR Newbie Registered Member

Advice on smaller sized Bookshelf speakers

Hello,
    I am a rookie when it comes to audio. I currently have a mixed set of:

Cambridge Soundworks ensemble IV satellites
    Cambridge Soundworks CenterStage Center channel
    Infinity PS28 Sub

Receiver: Onkyo SR-605

I am looking at getting a smaller sized pair of bookshelf speakers as my main front speakers. I will be upgrading the sats & sub at a later date.

I have been doing some research and would like to keep the price around 400 for the front pair. I also would prefer white speakers, but have found them more difficult and usually more expensive. Here are some speakers I have seen get good reviews, any other ideas or thoughts on these and other choices?

Paradigm Studio 20
    Definitive Technology Mythos Six
    Klipsch RB-81
    B&W 686
    Energy RC-10
    Kef iq10
    Axiom Audio M3v3
    NHT Absolute Zero
    Wharfedale DX-1 HCP 5.1
    I really like the look of the Wharfedale's. I know they are 5.1.

I know I'm kindof all over the place, but any recommendations/thoughts would help me out. Thanks for any feedback.

Around here we actually listen to speakers before we buy them. Who cares if the wharfdale's are 5.1 or not. What they sound like is far more important.

My advice: Make the effort and actually listen to some speakers!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Hello Murph22, it's kinda difficult to direct someone in any direction without a little bit more info. Are you seeking to put together a whole new speaker system for HT only or a whole system that will do double duty for HT and music?

See if you can visit a few of your local audio dealers and have a listen to as many speakers that you have listed above and determine which ones you liked best. Then maybe you can get some worthwhile suggestions once your preferences are known.
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

I would consider some PSB Alpha B's, PSB B4's, B5's or wharfedale 10.1, 10.2's

Saturday Audio Click on PSB specials and it takes you to their B-stock speakers that you can get at great deals. I bought a pair of B6's for $399pr.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER (PR) at Music Direct

For white speakers consider these NHT Absolute Zero's. They come in Gloss white or Black

NHT - Absolute Zero Mini-Monitor Speakers-Audio Advisor
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    You do have a list of pretty good budget speakers. If you will be doing home theater you should make sure the mains you buy have matching center and rears to offer for the future. If not able to listen locally then buy from some place that allows the 30 day return.

The Klipsch is a bit unique in your list that they are very efficient which allows them to play louder with the same input signal. The horns are more directional which could be a plus or minus depending on your room set up, a plus where needing to minimize reflections. They will also be crisp sounding on effects so they aren't for every one. They will come closer to what you'd actually hear in a theater but for music and some people's taste that may not always be good .

The Paradigm to my ears seem to always have an extended high frequency and pronounced midrange which gives them a lively sound. The Studio series is very popular.

The NHT and PSB I believe will be a more warm sound.

B&W is a bit hard to explain, sort of a flat response meaning no one certain area stand out more than another.

Energy struck me as a good budget speaker but I didn't listen long enough to comment more.

Wharfedale and KEF both have good reps. Like I mentioned you have a list of good performers but speakers are typically a personal choice that should match your taste. All of us who answer may favor different brands on your list.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am currently enjoying a pair of speakers that are working some magic in my room. I think you should check out the JBL Studio 530's. They have recently been reduced in price from $599 to $479 a pair. The horn loaded tweeter is smooth and defined. Great imaging and dynamics but will not play crazy loud. In their frequency range they better the Monitor Audio RS6's and the Mobile Fidelity OML1's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Glad you mentioned those JM, I forgot about them and with the price reduction, an outstanding value.

The JBL horns will be smoother and more refined than the Klipsch model you listed and still bring a nice theater experience with doing music well.

I would give serious consideration to the PSB B6's as mains. They are a slightly warmer speaker with excellent bass for a bookshelf. They are definitely a more forgiving speaker if your system or music is bright. They image well and have a very smooth midrange. Treble could be a little more resolving but every speaker around this price is going to have some weaknesses. I bought a pair for my son's system and I like them better than my $650pr Monitor Audio S1's. You can buy a pair of B-stock B6's at Saturday Audio for $439pr, list price is $550pr. They also sell the matching center channel and the B4's which are satellites.

Here are some reviews on the B6-

6moons audio reviews: PSB B6

PSB Image B6 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

PSB Image T6 Speaker System | Home Theater

Of all the speakers on your list, I like the Paradigms, NHT's and the B&W 686's. I don't care for the newer Energy Speakers-too bright and unrefined. The PSB B6's beat them all IMO

Let us know which speakers you decide to buy!
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP