You didn't steal that! (Pinback)

Oh yes I did, and I have proof.

So four of us headed to Philly on Friday night to see Pinback, who I never thought I'd get to see in these parts. The venue was the 'Underground Arts', sitting in a basement of a building in the Northeast section of the city. Concrete floors and walls don't make for great sound, but it was actually better than I would have thought. The fact that the small club was packed (I'd guess about 400 or so) may have helped with that.

After the decent opening act (Solos), Rob Crow and Zach Smith appeared, along with the drummer, and were setting up their own equipment for the most part. The opening act used most of their stuff too, so it was just a few minor adjustments and the boys headed back stage to reappear a few minutes later.

Rob plays what is probably the ugliest Les Paul I've ever seen. It's red and beat to hell, with duct tape covering some damage on the top part of the body. I was fairly close to the stage for much of the show, and it was great to watch Zach strum chords on his bass, pulling melodies from an instrument rarely used for such purposes.

The opening song was an obscure one called Victorious D from their EP Offcell (2003), followed by True North, the first of six they would play from their new CD, Information Retrieved. We had to wait until the fifth song to hear the first of 5 tracks they would play from the most excellent 'Summer n Abaddon', and it was Non-Photo Blue, the opening song on that CD. I had a feeling they were going to save AFK for the encore, and I was correct. In fact, it was the last of the night as they did a three-song encore.

Rob informed us that this was the first show on this tour, which was pretty cool. One of the things I like most about Pinback is their harmonies and soaring vocals, and they didn't disappoint live, hitting every note as expected. If you have a chance to catch these guys on tour, just do it, as Nike would say. I know Audio Bill is going to see them in Canada in a couple weeks.

Here's the track list from our show:

Victorious D
    True North
    Tripoli
    Penelope
    Non Photo-Blue
    His Phase
    Good to Sea
    Proceed to Memory
    Fortress
    Boo
    Drawstring
    Bouquet
    Loro
    Diminished
    Sender
    Sherman
    Walters
    Syracuse
    From Nothing to Nowhere

Encore:

Glide
    Prog
    AFK

And yes, I did steal this poster. I think I could actually make a living as a thief. Now I need to get it matted and framed.

You didn't steal that! (Pinback)-pinback-poster.jpg
    Last edited by Swish; 11-11-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Hey, thanks for the review. They actually sound like something I might like. Prog, right? :^D

Got any good links I could check out?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Hey, thanks for the review. They actually sound like something I might like. Prog, right? :^D

Got any good links I could check out?
    I think you'd like them Finchy. Not many great links, but you can listen to a few of their tunes here: Pinback | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Well, they're ok, but they ain't no Beardfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    I think you'd like them Finchy. Not many great links, but you can listen to a few of their tunes here: Pinback | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Thread Information