Best movies of Millennium

TIME Magazine has created a countdown of the 10 greatest films made since the year 2000, from No.10 (The Artist) to No.1 (see for yourself).

Not a definite list (House of Flying Daggers would've been a better candiate than Crouching Tiger), but got few good suggestions, and surprises (Devdas).

Ranked accordingly:

10. The Artist, 2011: This delightfully inventive comedy, about a swashbuckling star and the peppy waif (Bérénice Bejo) he befriends, echoes true-life Hollywood stories of the 1920s and ’30s.

9. Moulin Rouge!, 2001: It’s a convulsive love story daubed in a giddily gaudy palette, with the never-prettier Nicole Kidman entrancing hunkily soulful Ewan McGregor in an orgasmic swirl of color, design and pop music.

8. Devdas, 2002: Song-and-danced Bollywood drama, Devdas is a visual ravishment, with sumptuous sets, fabulous frocks and beautiful people to fill them.

7. Synecdoche, New York, 2008: In this epic tragicomedy, Caden Cotard (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a Schenectady, N.Y., theater director, moves to Manhattan with the gigantic notion of putting on a realistic drama as big as all of New York City.

6. The Hurt Locker, 2009: As The Hurt Locker lured few pleasure seekers into theaters, it was left to the Motion Picture Academy to take the film off the DVD shelf and pin a slew of Oscars on its chest.

5. The White Ribbon, 2009: Michael Haneke’s period political epic, tells the lacerating saga of collective brutality and guilt in a northern-German village two decades before Hitler came to power.

4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, 2000: The director convened stars of three movie eras from 1960s, ’80s, and bright new lights Zhang Ziyi and Chang Chen — and set them to battling over a magical sword.

3. Avatar, 2009: The top-grossing film of all time — earning twice at the worldwide box office as any movie but Titanic — was also the first picture to justify the 3-D trend.

2. The Lord of the Rings, 2001-03: These were long movies, some of them in excess of three hours. Films aimed at the young had taken into account the supposed limitation of children’s attention spans and usually ran 90 minutes or less. But kids and their parents stayed glued to their seats as the great sagas spun out.

1. WALL•E, 2008: The movies of the past dozen years will be remembered for their technical wizardry and digital sheen. WALL•E has all that, plus a toy-meets-girl love story as pure as any in the cinema’s first 100 years.

The Artist, 2011 | Top 10 Movies of the Millennium: Avatar, Lord of the Rings | Entertainment | TIME.com
    Last edited by Smokey; 07-15-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Strikes me as an eccentric list. Wall-E No.1? Really? But 5 of the 10 I haven't seen, so ...
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-15-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Calling that list eccentric is very charitable.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I think toy story was more of a ground breaking film for its catorgory than Wall-E, I agree with 2-4:

LOTR kept you interested throughout it series of films, each new film added more depth to the previous.

Avatar: I was not impressed with the 3D version, but could appreciate the film as a whole (looks awesome on BR)

Hidden dragon: I perfect picture to bring back what had fallen into the Satuday afternoon matine nitch. Ang Lee, John Woo, along with the few American known stars Ken Watanabe and Jet Li has done several outstanding films to bring quality and box office appeal.

Hurt Locker: Took me a few viewings to warm up to this one, I just felt there were to many holes in the storyline, and I feel Black Hawk Down is much better
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Charm Thai™
    Wow I haven't seen a single movie on that list! I have seen snippets of Crouching tiger hidden dragon though just by flipping through the dial from time to time.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Wow I haven't seen a single movie on that list! I have seen snippets of Crouching tiger hidden dragon though just by flipping through the dial from time to time.
    Wow. I've only seen three and I thought that was bad.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I have seen Moulin, LOTR, Hurt Locker, Crouching Tiger and Avatar. Only Crouching Tiger made my list of best films of that year.

Hurt Locker was good didn't see enough movies that year to make a list.

Still - if this were true - movies sure have SUCKED since the 1990s. My 40th best movie of that decade is FAR FAR better than the movies on this list.

Suspended
    I just watched the Two Towers again last night. I can watch any of TLOTR movies over and over. There is nothing quite like 10,000 Orcs stomping through my living room.

Thanks everybody

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Still - if this were true - movies sure have SUCKED since the 1990s. My 40th best movie of that decade is FAR FAR better than the movies on this list.
    You have to realize that most of these lists are subjective as some critics love low brow independent films and some go for better known films. Time magazine choose to fall somewhere in between, while critic like Roger Ebert decide to go more for independent films. Here is his list of best films of decade which some I never even heard:

1. Synecdoche, New York (2008)
    2. "The Hurt Locker" (2009)
    3. "Monster" (2004).
    4. "Juno" (2007)
    5. "Me and You and Everyone We Know" (2005)
    6. "Chop Shop" (2008)
    7. "The Son" (2002)
    8. "The 25th Hour" (2003)
    9. "Almost Famous" (2000)
    10. "My Winnipeg" (2008)

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I'd have to really think about a list of films since 1990.

1. Schindler's List
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Goodfellas
    4. The Shawshank Redemption
    5. City of God
    6. JFK
    7. Leaving Las Vegas
    8. Three Colours Trilogy (Blue/White/Red)
    9. Breaking the Waves

10. Toss up of the following:
    Margaret's Museum/ The War Zone/Fargo/Boys Don't Cry/American Beauty/Life is Beautiful/Pleasantville/Secret's and Lies/Boogie Nights/Felicia's Journey/In the Bedroom/Monster/Forrest Gump/Quiz Show/Constant Gardner/Kill Bill Vol1 and 2/Requiem for a Dream/Monster's Ball/Sling Blade/Saving Private Ryan/Adaptation/The Usual Suspects/In Bruges

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Awful list...I mean effort would have to be expended in order to suck worse...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information