Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Rediscovering AlphaCore MI1 speaker cables

When I was using the Onkyo A-9555 class D integrated amp I lost interest in the MI1 cables. The low inductance of the cables somehow rolled off the highs so you had strong bass, detailed mids and missing highs. Recently Flo was posting about them and I had never used them with the Krell.

I dug them out of the wire box and hooked them up. Bass is stronger, deeper and better defined. Bass notes are as focused as the mids and highs in all styles of music. Some bass notes are rounder and fuller than with other cables and much more like they would sound live.

Vocals are more focused, more center stage and human. String quartets are more enjoyable to my ears with the violins, viola and cello having more an individual voice. Vocals in groups like the Black Eyed Peas are more easy to follow.

Highs are excellent. No stridency to the sound or other unnatural artifacts. Just very natural music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

As many know speaker cables are of great interest to me. I am surprised by the difference in speaker cables that are fairly close in design. I recently began using the AlphaCore MI1 cables again. They are 13 gauge cables and compare with the Audioquest Slate's as well as the AntiCable's at 12 gauge. All use solid core conductor.

The MI1's are flat ribbon cables with minimal insulation and the negative is layered on top of the positive copper ribbon. The AntiCables are 12 gauge round conductors with minimal insulation. The AQ Slates are multiple solid core conductors individually insulated and with heavy jacketing.

I am currently using the AlphaCore MI1's in single wire mode using the speakers jumpers. The Slates and AntiCables have been used in bi-wire mode. When my shotgunned pair of MI1's arrive I will be able to hear them in bi-wire mode. I have to say the MI1's are superior using the jumpers in single wire mode than the other cables in bi-wire mode. I have high expectations for the MI1's in bi-wire.

When one speaker cable might improve one part of the sound the AlphaCore improves the entire frequency range. This cable has the least sonic artifacts of any cable I have tried. Now that I have heard it with the Krell the MI1's will be my reference cable.

Goertz Virtually Eliminates Mismatch
    The characteristic impedance of the Goertz MI cables in the order of 2 to 4 ohms closely matches the impedance of loudspeakers. Almost all other speaker cables have characteristic impedance ranging from 50 to 200 ohms, a mismatch which causes distortion due to signal reflections. Impedance matching primarily improves the clarity of the highs and upper mid-range, but many users have also experienced improvements in the lower mid-range. The cause seems to be that signal reflections caused by impedance mismatch enter the feedback loop of many amplifiers and disturb their ability to reproduce faithfully even lower frequency signals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rediscovering AlphaCore MI1 speaker cables-img_5345-goertz.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I am using the MA RS6's again and I have new respect for them. The highs are smoother while being more detailed when using the MI1's. Yes I have thought I nailed the sound of the RS6's before. The absence of artifacts using the MI1's allows so much more detail to shine through.

I have been listening to music with large choirs and I am impressed by hearing the individual voices singing together. Mozart's "Requiem" and Orff's "Carmina Burana" are two examples of the music that is so very entertaining right now. Oh and in case anyone is curious the Blackeyed Peas sounds incredible.

The Blackeyed Peas cd "E•N•D" really shows the benefits of the MI1's. Bass is quick, tight and full and but yet greater clarity with vocals and no distortions in the highs. I find myself playing music louder since it is so much cleaner.

The MI1's are not tone controls but let all the music shine through.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Goertz Virtually Eliminates Mismatch
    The characteristic impedance of the Goertz MI cables in the order of 2 to 4 ohms closely matches the impedance of loudspeakers.
    What about the mismatch between cables and the amp itself. Most maps act like a current source which mean their output impedance is usually less than 1 ohm
    Last edited by Smokey; 07-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.

The information I quoted from the website that was of interest to me was the lack of signal reflection. As I have mentioned in my reaction to other cables some of what I hear that is distracting to me does not happen with the MI1's.

The clarity and lushness is very enjoyable. Listening to the soundtrack to "Wicked" I was impressed hearing the distinctness of the two female leads. Without the signal reflections their voices are easier to follow when the orchestra is hitting some peaks.

If I had any electrical or electronics education I would like to figure out why the cables did not work as well with the class D Onkyo A-9555. The cables did not cause the int. amp any problems but they were very dark sounding. They are very well balanced with the Krell.

I think what I notice and enjoy the most is the black background. Each instrument or vocalist has their place in space. In my system the AlphaCore cables are the best. The AntiCables next and in third place are the Audioquest Slates.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

If I had any electrical or electronics education I would like to figure out why the cables did not work as well with the class D Onkyo A-9555. The cables did not cause the int. amp any problems but they were very dark sounding. They are very well balanced with the Krell.
    That might not be a fair comparison since two diifferent amps are used. Their signature (or lack of in either one) might also color the conclusion. Krell seem to be superior amp just based on power comparison alone (Onkyo's 85 watt vs 150w for Krell). Having high power mean better dynamics and lower distortion for heavy load speakers.

Also note that Krell's amp output impedance is less than 0.11 ohm....aka current source

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    That might not be a fair comparison since two diifferent amps are used. Their signature (or lack of in either one) might also color the conclusion. Krell seem to be superior amp just based on power comparison alone (Onkyo's 85 watt vs 150w for Krell). Having high power mean better dynamics and lower distortion for heavy load speakers.

Also note that Krell's amp output impedance is less than 0.11 ohm....aka current source

Smokey just sharing my thoughts and experiences. I am not writing a scientific paper.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

To further prove my lack of knowledge in electronics due to no formal training I blew up the Krell. Back to service it goes. The bi-wire pair of MI1's created too much of a load and shut the amp down. Since it will not power back up off to service it goes.

AlphaCore supplies jumpers if their cables cause an amp to be unstable. They are suggested for their larger cables so I thought I would be fine with my bi-wire MI1's. Without them they shut down my amp in five notes. I did not have time to hear any distorted sound just the click of the amp shutting down. Oh ****!

Krell will repair under warranty unless it was a catastrophic failure. I was very honest about the cause of the problem. Anyway the system sure sounded great in single wire mode but rather quiet in bi-wire mode. AlphaCore is my next call.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

AlphaCore was very nice and they are sending out the resistive networks right away. They were shocked that a bi-wire pair of MI1's would have damaged the amp. I told them no hurry since it will be about two weeks before I have the Krell again.

It sounds like Dan D'Agostino is at their offices quite frequently. She asked if I would like to speak to either owner of the company or have Dan contact me. Nice offer but no thanks.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Drunk and curious

Looking at the Shotgunned MI1's I had a thought. The cables are flat ribbons one on top of the other and when they are shotgunned they are one pair atop of the other. Looking at them tonight there is a banana plug for the negative and one for the positive at the amp end. The negative plug feels like it's cable goes to one pair of cables and the positive plug feels like it connects to the other pair of cables. The problem is both sets of cables at the speaker end have both positive and negative plugs.

I am thinking that the positive banana plug(red) going to the stereo speaker cable should have both been termianted in two red plugs. The second pair of banana plugs(black) should have been terminated in two black plugs. Holding the plugs at the amp end it did not feel like wires were joined with one ribbon from the two pairs but one was joined to one pair and the other to the other pair of cables.

I am wondering if I did not create a big short circuit for the Krell due to the wrong designations at the cable ends. Thoughts?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I ran some tests this morning and the cables are wired as they should be. Thinking there was a short was easier to accept than the amp blew due to low impedence. The resistive network that will be used accross the tweeter binding posts should eliminate the problem. As mentioned earlier I will need assurance from Krell and AlphaCore that this combination will be safe.

I will do nothing to risk being without my Krell or try the good natures at Krell with one more repair. In hindsight if I had called and ordered by phone I may have received a heads-up about potential problems. Since I ordered on-line they just processed and shipped.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I thought what the hell let's try the bi-wire AlphaCores with the Onkyo A-9555. Changed the cables and turned the amp on by remote with my finger on the standby button if it gets weird. Like the time with the Krell there was no sound in the left channel. Unlike the Krell I shut the amp down and it is still working today.

I have a hard time thinking that I had trouble with the left channel in both amps and could I have somehow hooked the same speaker cable up to the same channel both times.

Regardless the bi-wire cables are going back. I still have the single wire speaker cables but I think I will use the AntiCables and be happy and safe. Just does not seem worth the risk to me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well that sounds like the Anti-cables are the problem.....they could be liable....you think?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well that sounds like the Anti-cables are the problem.....they could be liable....you think?

No not the AntiCables but the Alphacore cables are the problem. I have not had any issues with the AntiCables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

No not the AntiCables but the Alphacore cables are the problem. I have not had any issues with the AntiCables.
    Oh...my bad....I meant the Alphacore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well that sounds like the Alphacore cables are the problem.....they could be liable....you think?

I was thinking about sending them to Krell since they are repairing my int. amp under warranty. If the wires were not properly done maybe Alphacore could cover some of the expense of the repairs.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Sounds like a good idea.

It sounds like maybe there was a short in the Alpha Core's. I was thinking about giving the Alpha's a try but I am not so sure after your experience with them JM. It would be interesting to take a multimeter to the cables before you send them back.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    It sounds like maybe there was a short in the Alpha Core's. I was thinking about giving the Alpha's a try but I am not so sure after your experience with them JM. It would be interesting to take a multimeter to the cables before you send them back.

I have used the single wire MI1's for years and back when I first bought them the packaging was better and the bi-wires were pictured differently. It seems like they have reduced quality. I will either buy better jumpers and the single wire Alphaore cable or I will play it safe and use the AntiCables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

One channel needed replaced in the S-300i and my bet is the left channel since that was the channel that produced no sound. I thought maybe I would hear from AlphaCore if the product failed any tests. I did receive a refund on the price of the cables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information