Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Today will be 104 degrees

They are predicting today's temps to reach 104 degrees in Central Ohio. That is actual temp and not the heat index. We have had 3 heat related deaths in the county since Friday. We have many who still do not have power.

I am a member of our local Humane Society and the staff is working all hours to maintain a generator. Their story was covered by the news channels from Columbus. A company heard the news and brought them an industrial generator that could power their AC unit.

We have crews from Alabama, California, Canada, and Florida helping to restore power. Thanks to all. My city and the city of Athens are considered the hardest hit in Ohio. There is lots of work for roofers and plenty of firewood for this winter.

Time to make donations. Our food pantry lost power and all of the frozen food. They can buy food at lower costs than the average person so I will be making a donation of cash instead of food. We have assistance for families that lost a sizable amount of food in the form of vouchers. Our local hospital has a building with generators that power every system. They are welcoming the community to the cafeteria for meals who either lost all food, all power or both. We are taking care of our own as far as food needs.

Restaurants and gas stations are mostly open now. When you have no food or way to cook an open McDonalds can be a beautiful site. Trying to find gas looked like a scene from the Mad Max movies. As god is my witness I will never, never let my gas tank get so low again.

It is about 11:26 AM and the temperature is a chilly 96 degrees. Soon it will be 104 degrees with a heat index of 111. I am hoping I can teach my dog to poop in the toilet.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 07-07-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    .... I am hoping I can teach my dog to poop in the toilet.
    Good luck with that. It's been pretty hot here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Good luck with that. It's been pretty hot here too.
    This is more July and August temps for an infrequent heatwave. That the heat happened right after a storm that destroyed so many trees and knocked down so many power lines has really taxed people.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    This is more July and August temps for an infrequent heatwave. That the heat happened right after a storm that destroyed so many trees and knocked down so many power lines has really taxed people.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think we can look forward more extreme weather thanks to global warming, (whatever the cause of the global warming).

Chicago IL
    We had few over 100F here in chicago too but thanks God bow it dropped to 80 so we can breath again!

My vintage gear!!! http://i48.tinypic.com/t66o1v.png

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    We're having similar weather here. Friday was downright gooey with humidity, hitting a record 36C (97F) during the day with it feeling more like 45 (113) with the humidity factor. We had a big thunderstorm yesterday morning that removed a bit of the humidity. It's only supposed to reach about 28 (82) today, which is much more tolerable.

And of course, we have power and, therefore, air conditioning, which makes all the difference. I can't imagine getting through the last week without it. I feel for the people in the US still affected by the power outage. When the it gets so hot here, the city opens up emergency cooling centres where anyone can go to cool off and get hydrated (they provide free water and snacks). Of course there are also malls and movie theatres where you can go and cool off. When we lived in a home without AC we saw a lot of movies in the summer! But with no power, the emergency centres, malls, and theatres would be useless. I hope that power is resumed to everyone very soon!

Just remember my friends..

Folks lived for centuries WITHOUT air conditioning or electricity so hopefully we can manage without both every once and a while. But even I have to admit it's been a trifle "toasty" as of late. Only good thing is my melanin deprived friends are getting nice and brown... less fish belly around.

Worf

Back in the days before electricity and AC people lived differently. Canned food and not frozen, cured meats and a good cellar. Oil lamps, gas lamps and candles to guide yourself through your house.

Sadly we have few of those items these days. Living in an apartment there is no way you can have a generator. Meats and veggies were frozen but no way to cook. Soon the food had been without refrigeration too long to cook if you could. Grocery stores and restaurants were closed. I did get a little tired of tuna salad on crackers made with questionable mayonnaise. Washed down with warm Chardonnay.

We still have people without power for over a week. One family I know was going to the movies to cool off. Now so many are still struggling and thiefs are stealing generators.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Folks lived for centuries WITHOUT air conditioning or electricity so hopefully we can manage without both every once and a while.
    But those folks back then didn't know what air conditioning or electricity was

It is possible to live without air conditioning (take cold showers), but almost impossible to live without electricity or running water. We take them so much for granted including the simple pleasure of reaching into fridge for ice cold glass of water.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Folks lived for centuries WITHOUT air conditioning or electricity so hopefully we can manage without both every once and a while. But even I have to admit it's been a trifle "toasty" as of late.
    Most parts of the Middle East still live that way and it works out well for them...no attitude adjustment necessary there. We could probably prevent conflicts and save thousands of lives if we spent a year's defense budget on air conditioning across the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf
    Only good thing is my melanin deprived friends are getting nice and brown... less fish belly around.
    You could put another check mark in that column. This melanin deprived character has been spending weekends on the boat out at Lake Monroe to beat the heat. I'm fairly near John but with a lot more steel and concrete; we peaked at 108 with heat index...awful, awful...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information