Acoustats back in the house!

-For the most part, my vintage system consists of hand-me-downs from earlier systems I've owned that were significant in my walk with audio.

This time I've moved the Wayback Machine forward ten years. The Advents returned me to 1972 when I bought my first decent system. Ten years later, I had updated Acoustat Monitor 4s to 2+2s which I kept for twenty some years. I've been looking for a pair of similar 1+1s and picked them up yesterday. The Threshold amp is returned to its original dance partner. Well, close.

While I've enjoyed the double New Advents for many years, they are not a match for the coherency, resolution and imaging realism of the Acoustats. The tradeoffs are the Advents go lower and can play louder. I've mentioned before how well the Advents sounded far outside the garage. In this respect, the Acoustats are better still. Voices sound so natural and alive even from my neighbor's driveway!

Now, a bit of work begins. The grill cloth is in horrible shape as the original owner had cats. Which is just as well since they are not acoustically transparent. I had re-socked the 2+2s with Spandex a while back to improve their sound. These need the same update. I suspect the power supplies are original and internal parts could use some updating as well. The panels need a fresh tensioning job via hair dryer, too. One flaps a bit on low bass.

I couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Florian; 07-22-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    For the most part, my vintage system consists of hand-me-downs from earlier systems I've owned that were significant in my walk with audio.

This time I've moved the Wayback Machine forward ten years. The Advents returned me to 1972 when I bought my first decent system. Ten years later, I had updated Acoustat Monitor 4s to 2+2s which I kept for twenty some years. I've been looking for a pair of similar 1+1s and picked them up yesterday. The Threshold amp is returned to its original dance partner. Well, close.

While I've enjoyed the double New Advents for many years, they are not a match for the coherency, resolution and imaging realism of the Acoustats. The tradeoffs are the Advents go lower and can play louder. I've mentioned before how well the Advents sounded far outside the garage. In this respect, the Acoustats are better still. Voices sound so natural and alive even from my neighbor's driveway!

Now, a bit of work begins. The grill cloth is in horrible shape as the original owner had cats. Which is just as well since they are not acoustically transparent. I had re-socked the 2+2s with Spandex a while back to improve their sound. These need the same update. I suspect the power supplies are original and internal parts could use some updating as well. The panels need a fresh tensioning job via hair dryer, too. One flaps a bit on low bass.

I couldn't be happier.
    Congrats! They look terrific and I'm envious.

E-Stat, do you know anywhere that will make new covers in Spandex?

I know where to get the fabric. Unfortunately my current lady friend has non-existant sewing machine skills.

Sorry, congrats, although they're probably not necessary. You do, after all, have Sound Lab mains and have had Acoustat's in the past.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Congrats! They look terrific and I'm envious.
    I think the $300 was well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    E-Stat, do you know anywhere that will make new covers in Spandex?
    There was a place in Atlanta years ago who contracted with a seamstress who made socks for my 2+2s. I remember first putting them on and initially thinking they were way too short. Like panty hose, you just keep stretching them and they become visually and acoustically transparent.

I know where to get the fabric. Unfortunately my current lady friend has non-existant sewing machine skills.
    Usually, I'd say you need to find a guy. Well, maybe not in this case. The job is simple though. Attach two ends of a piece of cloth with a single, long seam. Stretch to fit. Re-attach staples at top and bottom.

Sorry, congrats, although they're probably not necessary. You do, after all, have Sound Lab mains and have had Acoustat's in the past.
    They really sound nice and beam less than either the Monitor 4s or the 2+2s.

Thread Information