Stanton carts and 78s... 500 or 680ee? And which stylus?

I spin a few 78s now and then and currently have an Ortofon om78 stylus to play them. But I seem to always see Stantons talked about as ideal for 78s and rummaging around I realized I had an old gold 500 body and a 680ee. I am considering using one of those instead for 78s but not sure which would be the better one to set up, or which stylus of the many I see around to get. Seems original ones are becoming increasingly rare, but there are many, many generic or aftermarket ones out there. Anyone wanna try to wade through any of the choices for one or either of those carts?

By the way, for kicks I threw the 680ee on with a fresh D680 stylus just for some LP spinning and I'm really liking the sound. I may just leave it on for a while. Shame the fancier stylus tips for it are all nos and pricey or I'd try some of those out.

Aging Smartass
    I may have once been the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Stanton, but that's now been many years ago. I have no idea whether or not the company still makes 78 styli for either 500 or 680 cartridge bodies, but doubt they do as the market for such styli was always small.

From what I've seen, LP Gear seems a decent place for styli, and people who've purchased their non-original styli seem to have been satisfied. Insofar as which body to use - the 500 or the 680 - that's up to you, as the 680 is better sounding, but finding a 78 stylus for it may prove more difficult.

There's also an outfit called "Garage-a-Records" that carries an extensive line of replacement styli, some of them factory originals, so you might want to give them a try also. Good luck in your search.

Aging Smartass
    Your post piqued my interest, so I did a little searching. LP Gear has the lowest price ($24,95) for a 78 stylus for a 500 body, and none for the 680 body. Garage-a-Records has both, but is more expensive. A generic 78 stylus for the 500 is $32, and one for the 680 is $70. You may have your answer right there.

I only play 78s occasionally so I may just go with the cheaper option. Of course, there's also the angle that since I play them so rarely, spending another 30 bucks or so once will last me for years. Guess I still gotta think on this one. Appreciate your having a look around though. I thought someone around here was once connected to Stanton. Was hoping you'd pop up in case you knew something I wasn't thinking of. Thanks.

Any opinions as to whether getting a D6800EE stylus would be an improvement on the D680 stylus as long as I'm thinking about these Stanton carts? I'm enjoying the sound with the D680 but when searching for 78 styli I happened to come across some nos D6800EE and was curious if it was better or worse than what I already have. I gather they are both elliptical so possibly quite close to the same but I'm not positive.

Aging Smartass
    Over the years, when an additional "E" was added to the cartridge model, and its replacement stylus, it indicated an improvement of some sort. The cantilever might have been tapered differently, or the dimensions of the elliptical tip different, or even a change within the housing of the entire assembly are all possibilities. So, yes, go ahead and splurge.

Thanks. You put my mind at ease. Hated to splurge if it was the same thing I already had. Also saw another D680 cheaper if the other wasn't an improvement. Will be nice to be able to compare them both.

Thread Information