Screaming Females

Been reading a lot about this trio, and am listening to my first song by them, "Wild". Their guitarist, Marissa Paternoster (wasn't she on Three And A Half Men? ) is known to be kind of a shredder. Short, punky songs with lead guitar. What a concept!

Anyone else heard them?

The first time I saw Screaming Females was 2009 at The Parlor in Austin, a small, narrow pizza place that sends gusts of warm pizza dough wind into the venue every time the oven is opened. Within five minutes of their set, guitarist and singer Marissa Paternoster ripped into her first solo.

Her fingers climbed furiously up and down the neck of her guitar like she was trying to put out a fire. Her voice was this wondrous mix of high vibrato and low tension, a rubber band stretched almost to the breaking point. I went out and found everything I could by them, which, at that point, already consisted of three albums....
    Continued here: Screaming Females' Marissa Paternoster Talks About Ugly Stuff - Page 1 - Music - Dallas - Dallas Observer

And here's most of a cool in-store concert, almost 30 minutes of Screaming Females!

Check out the epic shredfest that starts around 16 minutes!
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 05-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Will check it out when time and surroundings permit. I used to have a thing for Kat Bjelland and Babes in Toyland. Met Kat once and she graciously signed my BiT t-shirt. I drifted away from female shredders after the riot grrrls of the 90s. Interested to see who the players are these days.

Rae
    The song in that top video is pretty catchy! I like her vocal delivery, too. Sounds a little like Marc Bolan fronting Dinosaur Jr. (dino combo!).

For contemporary women shredders, though, c'mon Marnie Stern:

~Rae

Oh, so screaming females are a band?

I thought you were referring to the women being chased by Bill Maher at parties.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Rae
    I saw this band last night on a whim and they were SEARING. Marissa Paternoster was wearing the same dress as she is in that video up there and just rocking out, riffing all over the place. They barely paused between songs and kept the energy level pretty breathless. Great show.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I saw this band last night on a whim and they were SEARING. Marissa Paternoster was wearing the same dress as she is in that video up there and just rocking out, riffing all over the place. They barely paused between songs and kept the energy level pretty breathless. Great show.

~Rae
    Nice! Where'd you see 'em?

Rae
    7th St Entry in Minneapolis

Suspended
    I'll have to look into them.

If you want to hear a real screaming female listen to In This Moment, she has to have the world record for longest scream. Beautiful Tradgedy is my favorite album so far but I've yet to pick up the new one.

Thread Information