110-inch LCD from China

TCL Corporation in China has has developed the world’s largest 110-inch 4K 3D LCD screen at the launching ceremony in Beijing on March 9th. This technology is named “China Star” and has made China the third country to have successfully developed high-end display technology, behind Japan and South Korea.

China Star technology utilizes the most-advanced specifications in China today including4xHD resolution 4Kx2K (4,096x2,160 pixels) panels, active 3D technology, multi-touch technology, intelligent and dynamic backlight technology and 92% NTSC color gamut.

Beside bold products, the company is also making some bold statements. At the ceremony, Gu Zhihua the director of the flat panel display center at Fudan University said that "China will replace Japan and South Korea as the world leader in TV display screens in terms of manufacturing and R&D in three to five years.”

We’re not sure if the company has plans to actually market these monsters or is just using them as a proof of technology demonstration.

More info:

The World

Still too small.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Nice post Smokester.

Every once in a while I'll check Alibaba, more to see what kinds of products are available. It's pretty clear that technology advances on the other side of the globe a bit quicker than on these shores. I saw a 37 inch 3D without the need for glasses advertised the other day.

Television, Television Products, Television Manufacturers, Television Suppliers and Exporters Directory
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Sorry, but I am not really impressed, even if they are. Panasonic showed a 152 inch 4K, 3D LCD set three years ago at CES. Second, LCD technology is done, as there is no money in it - hence no current research to improve the technology. Thirdly, China has a persistent habit of stealing other manufacturer's technology, especially those that have their products assembled there.

The Chinese have to do better than this if they want to compete on the world market in research and technology. Taking dated technology(or at least already covered technology) is not going to make them a world leader.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Thirdly, China has a persistent habit of stealing other manufacturer's technology, especially those that have their products assembled there.
    If you really think about it, that is nothing new. Japan used to steal U.S. technology by sending their engineers to U.S. in 50/60s, improve and manufacture the product and sell it back to U.S. This time around is China that try to sell it cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    If you really think about it, that is nothing new. Japan used to steal U.S. technology by sending their engineers to U.S. in 50/60s, improve and manufacture the product and sell it back to U.S. This time around is China that try to sell it cheaper.
    China is up and coming. Maybe not there yet, but coming up fast on the outside for sure.
    For years our Japan sources have been manufaturing in China. We are planning the same as well.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Here is the difference Smoke. The Japanese were stealing current technology, and manufacturing products that could compete with current products. The Chinese have chosen technology that is already built out, and being discarded as a way to show their research and manufacturing prowess. Sorry, but that does not fly. If they had introduced a 103" OLED, then maybe we'd be talking about something here. But almost every manufacturer is pretty much closing their books on LCD technology, because there is no money in it.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    I gotta be honest, I am a projector convert. Early projectors really could not compare to LCD and HDTV's but now they look great. We have had our Epson HD projector for almost a year with 6' x 10' screen that we built ourselves for no more than 150 bucks. The projector ran about $1300 but isn't that what we pay for a 50" LCD? The projector quality is amazing and blue-ray is just jaw dropping, and now they are getting ready to come out with 3D projectors, it's really a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by lizard54 View Post
    I gotta be honest, I am a projector convert. Early projectors really could not compare to LCD and HDTV's but now they look great. We have had our Epson HD projector for almost a year with 6' x 10' screen that we built ourselves for no more than 150 bucks. The projector ran about $1300 but isn't that what we pay for a 50" LCD? The projector quality is amazing and blue-ray is just jaw dropping, and now they are getting ready to come out with 3D projectors, it's really a no brainer
    3D projectors have been out for two years at least.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    3D projectors have been out for two years at least.
    Yea I know, I wrote that wrong.
    Sorry bout that, what I really meant was that the next time our bulb blows we are most likely going to upgrade to a 3D printer Thanks for the correction kind Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by lizard54 View Post
    Yea I know, I wrote that wrong.
    Sorry bout that, what I really meant was that the next time our bulb blows we are most likely going to upgrade to a 3D printer Thanks for the correction kind Sir.
    LOL...I know there are some cross eyed folks that don't like 3D. But I must say, it has been a great way to bring the family together for a big event in my house. BBQ, social interaction, with a finale of watching a 3D movie on a wall filling 180" screen(no dark picture here), with a state of the art sound system.

I just does not get any better than this....well maybe it does....A 200" screen maybe?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

BBQ, social interaction, with a finale of watching a 3D movie on a wall filling 180" screen(no dark picture here), with a state of the art sound system.
    I must admit that watching a movie on such a large screen give the movie another dimension that is missing from smaller size TVs. My brother who work for university, one time brought home a projector and we watched a movie on it.

Although the projector was SD and the source was from VHS tape, the sheer size of picture made the film so dramatic and fun to watch.

Thread Information