Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RGA
    Forum Regular

Thinking back to a song you grew up with that you still like...

Think of a song or two that you were into - from a not so popular band that you still like listening to for whatever crazy reason.

I heard this group in around 1988 and at the time I was working 6pm to 2am at McDonalds. The older guys would play music over the stereo in the back and I remembered rushing out the next day to buy the CD. One of those 80s bands that never really took off despite 5 or 6 albums. And recently a small comeback. A British Band of 3 members - which unfortunately made a lot of songs sound quite similar.

My two favorites from them were both from their original album "Play Deep" and were the first two songs on the album.

Say it isn't So
    The Outfield - Say It Isn't So - YouTube

Your Love was their most famous song and it still gets some airplay on local radio

The Outfield - Your Love [Audio] - YouTube

And yes - The vinyl sounds much better than the CD - although at least the CD had more dynamics than most in the era and I still bring this album with me when auditioning gear.

Edit:
    Okay I am officially old - Katey Perry has done a cover of "Your Love" Well regardless of whether it's any good - it's gotta be somewhat flattering the a young kid like her wants to revamp it for the kids. But listening to her version - I kind of see why the 80s are making a come back - as much as the 80s made people groan - well it could be this Katy Perry - Use Your Love (with lyrics) - YouTube

RGA, there are so many songs I grew up with that were made by one hit wonders, that is why I love my Squeezebox setup. I can download as many old schools music that I can not find on CD and play them as often as I desire. My range covers music from the 60's Motown sound through last weeks Neo Soul release by Kem, or Jill Scott. My sister-in-law just let me rip a CD she picked up of the biggest hits from Stax records that cover artist like Sam & Dave and Issaic Hayes, she also had a dual CD of Atlantic recording Artist that covered a lot of the early Spinners music, but one of the disk was damaged. The big advantage you may have that during your early years most of the music was coming out in both formats CD & Vinyl, so it may be easier to find.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Here are couple:

"Welcome to Boomtown" by the band David&David.
    "(I Love It When You) Call Me Names" and "Drop the Pilot" by Joan Armatrading.

Charm Thai™
    When I was little I worshiped Kiss and really liked Disco music. Two of my faves were:

Kiss - I Was Made For Loving You
    Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy

Nice topic...

But too many songs. There's tons of songs I listened to as a kid that I still listen to today. Particularly as I'm a musician I get to play some of em. It's a nice feeling introducing my band mates to a song from my youth that they've never heard of... it's even better to get them to play it!!! Just a couple or three:

"Gypsy Woman" - The Impreesions. This is the original version long before Mr Hyland got a hold of it. Written by the immortal Curtis Mayfield. It's the first '45 we ever got in the house".

"I know you got Soul" - James Brown/Bobby Byrd - Funky as 9 cans of shaving powder and we do this song today.

"Them Changes" - Buddy Miles - Same as above.

I could go on and on. I'm just lucky because if I REALLY love a song, I sometimes get to play and sing it!!!!

Worf

Forum Regular
    Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't it be good (1983).

Dave

Forum Regular
    I am generally not nostalgic...but when it comes to music there are a handful of songs that stir
    my emotions and get me worked up:

Tommy James & The Shondells
    Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson And Clover (1968) - YouTube

Al Green
    Al Green-Lets Stay Together - YouTube

As I am writing this and listening to Al Green ( I already finished listening to TJ) I just get so much of a
    rush of energy from the music..I can't keep from smiling ear to ear.

Great post RGA.

Malo
    Malo - Suavecito - YouTube

War
    War - All Day Music - YouTube
    Last edited by LeRoy; 01-25-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Need to add a couple of more...see what you started!

Forum Regular
    RGA, I pretty much passed up on the 80's music and I always thought The Outfield was a 90's band. I can only recall the second song you linked from T.O. 80's music was still quite popular last year while I was vacationing in Mexico City. All the night spots were playing music and music videos from the 80's along with some Brittany Spears music too.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    But too many songs. There's tons of songs I listened to as a kid that I still listen to today. Particularly as I'm a musician I get to play some of em. It's a nice feeling introducing my band mates to a song from my youth that they've never heard of... it's even better to get them to play it!!! Just a couple or three:

"Gypsy Woman" - The Impreesions. This is the original version long before Mr Hyland got a hold of it. Written by the immortal Curtis Mayfield. It's the first '45 we ever got in the house".

"I know you got Soul" - James Brown/Bobby Byrd - Funky as 9 cans of shaving powder and we do this song today.

"Them Changes" - Buddy Miles - Same as above.

I could go on and on. I'm just lucky because if I REALLY love a song, I sometimes get to play and sing it!!!!

Worf
    speaking of shaving powder....I remember those majic shave moments.....talk about STANK!!!!!!

back to topic, I love every song you mentioned in its original form. I hate it when some body tries to do a remake of the good stuff. Most of the time they just mess it up. Its hard to improve on a classic original. Can you believe bands are trying to remake "Trouble Man" by Marvin Gaye??? What in the heck are they thinking?!?!?!

Trouble Man by Marvin Gaye - YouTube

I cant imagine any body messing around with "All day Music" by War. You cant improve on that! And I have to many memories from back in the day with that song blasting on the box.....man oh man.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    I am generally not nostalgic...but when it comes to music there are a handful of songs that stir
    my emotions and get me worked up:

Tommy James & The Shondells
    Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson And Clover (1968) - YouTube

Al Green
    Al Green-Lets Stay Together - YouTube

As I am writing this and listening to Al Green ( I already finished listening to TJ) I just get so much of a
    rush of energy from the music..I can't keep from smiling ear to ear.

Great post RGA.

Malo
    Malo - Suavecito - YouTube

War
    War - All Day Music - YouTube
    When I read the first post in this thread Suavecito was the first song that came to mind. Got the original LP!

All Day Music is on my frequent play list.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    "Father & Son" - Cat Stevens

Just heard this one the other day:

"Star of a Story" by Heatwave 1976 that was one great album songs like grooveline, the classic Always and Forever.

Denise Williams: "Free" from the album this is Nicey

Parlament: "Chocolate City" talk about for telling the future WOW
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    "Father & Son" - Cat Stevens
    This one still kinda chokes me up when I here it. I didn't have a real father to tell me about life. My step was a prick.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular
    Hey JoeE SP, do you also have the Malo live?
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

At the moment I only have the first LP.
    Are you asking because you recommend the live recording?
    cduniverse has
    The Best Of
    K-Standard
    En Vivo: Live
    Malo
    all the above are on CD

Oddly enough my recent health problems and consequent lifestyle change has resulted in me having more discretionary funds. I think I'll order Live and K-Standard.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular

More funds is always a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    At the moment I only have the first LP.
    Are you asking because you recommend the live recording?
    cduniverse has
    The Best Of
    K-Standard
    En Vivo: Live
    Malo
    all the above are on CD

Oddly enough my recent health problems and consequent lifestyle change has resulted in me having more discretionary funds. I think I'll order Live and K-Standard.
    I was not making a recommendation I was simply asking if you had any music from Malo that was live. My brother-in-law once played some music from live that I think was recorded at the Filmore East and there was one heck of thunderous percussion solo.

I have already placed an emergency phone call to my bro-in-law to find that track which is probably now going to lead to a beer and music session for us later tonight
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Forum Regular
    I love those oldies of the 80's!!!!!! There are so many of them, here are just a few that come to mind:
    -La Paloma Blanca by George Baker,
    -It's a heartache by Bonnie Tyler,
    -Dancing Shoes by Cliff Richard,
    -Sailor by Petula Clark
    -Congratulations by Cliff Richard
    -To Sir With Love by LuLu,
    -Silence is Golden by The Tremeloes, etc, etc

Kind of odd, but I wasn't much interested in music as a teenager, but I became more interested in university. The folk music of the era was my first interest. A song that has always lurked in the back of my mind is the circa 1965 Seekers tune, I'll Never Find Another You ...

Bob Dylan, speaking of '60s toons, his superclassic, Positively 4th Street, always delights me for its cynicism -- I love the line, "You know as well as me you'd rather see me paralysed; why don't just come out once and scream it".

(This is not the best version; is it a cover?)

AR Newbie Registered Member

Thinking back to a song you grew up with that you still like...

Nice post

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    I was not making a recommendation I was simply asking if you had any music from Malo that was live. My brother-in-law once played some music from live that I think was recorded at the Filmore East and there was one heck of thunderous percussion solo.

I have already placed an emergency phone call to my bro-in-law to find that track which is probably now going to lead to a beer and music session for us later tonight
    Now you've done it. I'm going to order the live Malo at the least. Maybe I'll just order them all. My recent change of lifestyle because of illness has caused me to have more discretionary funds.

Forum Regular

two words pink floyd

of course now I am not under any influences of substances but I just got WYWH on SACD and it is still great IMHO.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    There are two songs that always catch my ear. Whenever I went "parking" with my GF in high school we'd have the car radio on for hours and these two songs: "Year of the cat" by Al Stewart and "Night Moves" by Bob Seger seemed to be played multiple times per hour. Whenever I hear these songs, I'm immediately brought back those wonderful nights in the late 70's.

As mentioned, way too many, but Jay And The Americans "Come A Little Bit Closer" is one.
    Bob

Forum Regular
    Depeche Mode- Enjoy the Silence.

Still one of my favorite songs, up next to Aha's "Take On Me."

Can you tell I liked the 80s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information