Forum Regular

what does this mean?! so lost!

whats up everybody. i have a pioneer stereo amplifier a-441. i was told it was an oldy but a goody. i got it from my cousin who was a music master and has since passed and i want to hook up my own stereo system. problem is, i dont know where to start looking for speakers. the amplifier has specs with ac120v, 550w, 60hz and 430 va. as well, the speaker impedance is a,b 4-16, a+b 8-32. but i dont know what the heck any of that means. i have a subwoofer with a 240 peak and 60hz. and i was told as far as getting speakers go, i'll need something at least 100 watt each with 60hz and 4 ohms? any suggestions. im so lost. so so very lost, cold and scared. help?

Forum Regular
    what specs do i need to look for in a speaker(s) and do u guys have any recommendations? any help would be greatly appreciate. thank u most humbly

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Just find speakers in your budget that you like. Some of the speaker specs that people worry about are nonsense. The speakers may be rated at 100 watts but you can use amps of less power. The 100 watts is how much power a speaker can handle. More speakers are damaged by playing music loud with too little power. Overdriving an amp will damage the speaker with something called clipping distortion.

When you mention 60 HZ you may be thinking about the bass cutoff frequency. Many modern speakers produce low bass much lower than 60 HZ.

Shop for speakers you like and your amp should be able to drive them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what does this mean?! so lost!-226211298zt-pioneer.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by woggysworld View Post
    whats up everybody. i have a pioneer stereo amplifier a-441. i was told it was an oldy but a goody. i got it from my cousin who was a music master and has since passed and i want to hook up my own stereo system. problem is, i dont know where to start looking for speakers. the amplifier has specs with ac120v, 550w, 60hz and 430 va. as well, This is just the power spec for the electricity it uses - it needs 550 watts of 120 volt/60Hz from the wall receptacle it is no indication of the out put power.the speaker impedance is a,b 4-16, a+b 8-32. If you plan on running two sets of speakers, they need to be between 8 ohms and 32 ohms each speakerbut i dont know what the heck any of that means. i have a subwoofer with a 240 peak and 60hz. and i was told as far as getting speakers go, i'll need something at least 100 watt each Don't worry too much unless you plan on cranking it most of the time and if you are then I think you're going to have other issues also. with 60hz ???? LOL and 4 ohms Again if your plan on running two sets of speakers, make sure they are 8 ohms minimum? any suggestions. im so lost. so so very lost, cold and scared. help?

Hope this helps
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by woggysworld View Post
    what specs do i need to look for in a speaker(s) and do u guys have any recommendations? any help would be greatly appreciate. thank u most humbly
    What kind of budget are you looking at, what type of tunes do you play and how loud? Are you looking for audiophile grade or just something to play LOUD?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular
    thank u guys both for the responses. i understand my knowledge is limited if not non existed and i greatly appreciate the time mind and energy. truth is, i dont know where to start. the back of the amplifier is the old school red and black wire connectors and im having trouble finding anything in the bookshelf form that would even accept that. i listen to everything. and i really mean it. hip hop rnb blues rock. any further help or suggestions would be welcomed. thanks again much

That amp is rated at 70 watts per channel at 8 ohms. You should be fine with most speakers with a sensitivity of 88dB or higher. The higher the Sensitivity, the more efficient the speaker is ( basically the louder it will play at a given power level or the easier it will be for the amp to drive)

Speaker Sensitivity - What is Speaker Sensitivity
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    thanks a million blackraven. ull have to pardon my ignorance, but i dont even know what that means my friend. where would i even go about searching for speakers with 88db. do u have any examples? sorry

Forum Regular
    Klarity 3 way speakers 250w - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Tannoy PBM 6.5 II Speaker - Single Speaker - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Cerwin Vega Book Shelf Speaker SA150. - Mississauga / Peel Region Electronics For Sale - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region Canada.

Celestion Stereo Speakers Ditton 100 - Oakville / Halton Region Electronics For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.

Pair of Boston Acoustics CS 23 3.5" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Quest Bookshelf Speakers - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Floor speakers - Oshawa / Durham Region Electronics For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.

Paradigm Phantom Bookshelf Speakers

VINTAGE AUDIOSPHERE RESEARCH SPEAKERS WITH MASSIVE 12IN WOOFERS - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

JBL Control 1 Pro - 5" Two-Way Professional Compact Loudspeaker - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

FS: Technics speakers, Model: SB-LV80 (12" woofer) - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Vintage Speakers with 12" woofer - Oakville / Halton Region Electronics For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.

POLK R20 bookshelf speakers - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

DO ANY OF THESE STICK OUT AT YOU?!?!?!?!? SORRY AND THANKS AGAIN ALL!

The best advice anyone can give you about speakers is; go listen to some. Then you can decide for yourself.

Every speaker sounds so different from any other speaker that choosing a pair is something you should decide on for yourself.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

The sensitivity rating is found with the spec's for a speaker as this example shows-

Monitor Audio - M2 - Bookshelf Loudspeakers-Audio Advisor

PSB - Alpha B1 - Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

Don't worry about the spec's, as Joe sp9 stated, buy what sounds good to you.

What's your budget for speakers and what is your room size, then we can make some recommendations .

Here is some more info on speaker specs and terminology-

Speakers Glossary
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP