Thread: Stereolab

Stereolab

What a band. Anyone else listened to the debut Peng! lately? Totally crankable. Not completely sure where they were going yet, got a lot of that motoriffic Kraftwerk sound, but with the double female vocals, one in each ear, and lots of guitars. Not quite the later bachelor spacepad sound, but part of that too. Very cool and sublime. They put out a ton of very nice music in the 90s.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I only have one from '95 or '96, called Emperor Tomato Ketchup. I haven't listened to it in a while. Maybe I should whip it out (the CD) and give it a listen, if I can find it (the CD).
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    I only have one from '95 or '96, called Emperor Tomato Ketchup. I haven't listened to it in a while. Maybe I should whip it out (the CD) and give it a listen, if I can find it (the CD).
    Maybe. They are all "whip it out" worthy through that one. Lots of compilations strewn throughout too. Very prolific and somewhat underrated band. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is still my favorite, though. Great sounding CD too ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEC0E99.php
    Last edited by Davey; 11-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.

I tune in to Stereolab now and then but haven't really followed their career too much, always like when I hear them but haven't heard enough to feel like I really know them well. I will say I recently happened across this collaboration between Stereolab and Nurse with Wound called Simple Headphone Mind that's got a really strong Krautrock feel to it that I totally dig:

I've never listened to Peng! though. I think I am going to need to change that shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    I will say I recently happened across this collaboration between Stereolab and Nurse with Wound called Simple Headphone Mind that's got a really strong Krautrock feel to it that I totally dig
    Yea, that is a cool ep. Just the two long songs, but they do have that sound, but that was kind of the point on that one. Some of the headphone effects are maybe just a little goofy if listening on headphones, but it does sound good, especially after about 6 minutes into the opener when the chick comes on for "scuttle", then it really gets driving. All their records from that mid period sound very nice, they really knew what they were doing in the studio.

I think the first one I ever heard was Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements, and that is probably still the one that gets the most plays. That or ETK. Has a little more of the VU sound than on ETK, and parts aren't recorded quite as nice, but a good mix of their more experimental side.
    Last edited by Davey; 11-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    ahh yes. reminds me of a simpler more care free time. I reminisced a little in the thread below.

Time travel with Nurse with Wound

Thread Information