sacd player connection question

So I have an old 1980s Technics receiver with both Pre-Out and Main-In for 2 channel.

I have the Pre-outs connected to an separate amp. Now, i also have a sacd player and connected the front L and R analog output from the sacd player to the Main-in on the technics. Problem...there is no sound. The EQ dances on the receiver and the sacd players is playing. The menu on the sacd player is correct.

Question: I have no AUX input to press on the receiver..so when i press all the other inputs there is no sound. The owners manual doesn't mention what to press when using the Main-ins.

I have it now connected to the CD input and I can hear music, but not sure if this is the full sacd sound? Any issues using this input?

thanks!

Your CD input is the place to put it, so that it's going through the volume control of the receiver. An input labeled CD is actually not specific to CD technology. It's an ordinary analog input. So connecting analog outputs there does give you the full sound of the SACD player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_ View Post
    So I have an old 1980s Technics receiver with both Pre-Out and Main-In for 2 channel.

I have the Pre-outs connected to an separate amp. Now, i also have a sacd player and connected the front L and R analog output from the sacd player to the Main-in on the technics. Problem...there is no sound.
    I just know you have speakers connected to the Technics receiver and whatever buttons are needed be depressed to activate them are pushed in, right? After all, the power amp of the Technics receiver is the ONLY part of the receiver the SACD sees.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    Your CD input is the place to put it, so that it's going through the volume control of the receiver. An input labeled CD is actually not specific to CD technology. It's an ordinary analog input. So connecting analog outputs there does give you the full sound of the SACD player.
    thanks for the clear answer...i can keep my old school setup for now. The sacd sound is wonderful and makes my NHTs sing.

Forum Regular
    It's a shame SACD has pretty much fallen on it's backside, it does sound pretty good!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    fortunately sacd is still an active mode and can be had for about $30 each in most cases. the japanese imports are much more so i avoid them. i was fortunate to acquire quite a few before they began to fade. i didnt mind paying what list price was for regular CDs which is more than regular CDs should sell for.

the $30 is now what premium LPs go for so not bad as price goes. i would MUCH rather pay that for sacd than the less desirable to me-XRCD! yeah, theyre good but still redbook with its limitations. ten bucks would be as much as i paid for xrcd.

if you want to go surround without the expense-try dynaquad. its passive so only a stereo amp is needed, your receiver will do. just rear speakers and a roll of malibu outdoor lighting wire (its 16ga).
    ...regards...tr

[QUOTE

the $30 is now what premium LPs go for so not bad as price goes. i would MUCH rather pay that for sacd than the less desirable to me-XRCD! yeah, theyre good but still redbook with its limitations. ten bucks would be as much as i paid for xrcd.

[/QUOTE]

I own quite a few XRCD's. The XRCD-24's are the best recordings but they are variable in sound quality. Some far exceed the sound quality of their Red Book counterparts, others just minimally.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I buy my SACD's from Amazon but don't recall paying more than around $15 for a disc. The number of selections have grown over the past few years especially for jazz and classical.

same here Poultrygeist...

I also buy from Amazon as they have a nice selection. You can also find SACD and DVD_A on ebay for reasonable prices.
    Plus, there are new SACD releases like Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, etc. over at Music Direct and priced at $30.

Thread Information