Thread: Marantz TT42

Marantz TT42

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I doubt if it will give an entry level Rega or ProJect a run for their money. The platter looks thin and the tonearm looks very basic. The slots for cartridge mounting look like they are plastic. Looks like one of the earlier Technics plastic decks that you could pick up for about $100 in the 80's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Is Marantz quality on entry level gear going down or just equal too all the other mass produced stuff out there?

I think that table has been around for a while. I remember seeing that table late last year, or earlier this year. It sorta looks like a Thorens. Its target has to be those who want to see what vinyl is all about. Seems I do remember a review of that table but cant remember what was said.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Yeah, it looks like one of the lower line Thorens models that I believe are made by Dual. I had a similar deck for several years and they do perform better than their pretty bad reputation would lead you to believe. And the auto-return and such are nice to have. Good tables for people who want to get into vinyl and recall the convenience of a run-of-the-mill table from back in the day. My only issue ended up being that the one I had wasn't the most durable and after several moves and getting carted around and set-up in many different places the anti-skate springs on the tonearm got all out of whack and I just ditched it for an old Tecnhics instead of trying to repair it. And really, for someone looking for a basic table with a lot of features, an old Technics will likely do what this deck does and do it a lot cheaper as long as buying used is considered.

But I think there is something to be said for these kinds of tables. Good if unspectacular sound quality coupled with good usability is just what a lot of people want/need. I think sometimes if someone is just looking to spin records and isn't super worried about the best sound available, these sorts of tables make a great compromise solution. I remember I got the table I did because I wanted something new and wanted to play 33, 45 and 78 and preferred something I did not have to move a belt on to switch speeds and wanted auto-return. Sounded to me like a pretty basic feature list that was easy as pie to come across once upon a time, but these days a table with all that is rare. So yeah, these kinda tables I don't expect to be the last word in fidelity, but they serve a purpose in my mind.

Heck, if I had to live with a single table, something like this would still appeal to me. I've started using two tables now because while I like the sound from my Pro-Ject, I also like to be able to play 78s on my vintage Dual and I like to be able to hit start and let it play a record and turn off while I'm puttering around the house as well. For people who really listen to vinyl as a primary source, not just when settling in for a 'serious' listen, convenience features really do make a difference.

I do not think it is a Thorens/Dual turntable because the arm does not use the 4 point gimbal bearings of the Dual arms. The entry level Thorens use the Dual tonearms. When I look at the table on the Marantz site and magnify the image the headshell looks like it was molded and fixed to the tonearm. The Dual arms have removable headshells.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Yeah...that table is not new...heres a review from 2006.

Marantz TT42 TurnTables Reviews
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

This does look a lot like the TD 158. Marantz above, Thorens below.

Looking at the Thorens line up I would say the TD 235 & 240 were sourced from Dual. The 295 MKIV is Pro-Ject sourced and a newer model of the Thorens I owned. The 158, 170-1 and 190-2 series may have the Marantz and Thorens name but I doubt if either company produced them. I would have to say the manufacturer is either in Japan or China. Certainly a far cry from the glory days of Thorens.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Here's another one...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    Here's another one...

Yes but who made it? Do you think Thorens, Marantz, and Dual all make the same table? Now that you have seen it with three different badges do you think any of the three made it? There is a difference between a ttable that was designed by the company and one bought from a supplier to fill a price point. Vinyl is having a resurgence and companies want to sell ttables to those who do not know what vinyl can sound like.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Yes but who made it? Do you think Thorens, Marantz, and Dual all make the same table? Now that you have seen it with three different badges do you think any of the three made it? There is a difference between a ttable that was designed by the company and one bought from a supplier to fill a price point. Vinyl is having a resurgence and companies want to sell ttables to those who do not know what vinyl can sound like.
    I kind of lean toward your thought of it being Asian. I think the Dual name was sold off years ago.

Thread Information