Thread: 1st Post

Forum Regular

1st Post

5 posts.I get to speak now. Wheee...
    I value experienced opinions. Im hear mainly to absorb information and to educate myself.
    1. Iwould like to upgrade my Yamaha RX V663 receiver to something within the $600.00 - $800.00 range. I watch movies but my passion is clear distinct and precise musical note. Jazz, blues, love horns. B&W DM 602 are my primary speakers. B&W all around actually. For now they stay. Im all ears and listening for input.

2. Ill be buying a sub to replace an Infinity PS210 this week. Im a purist. I want realism for music and thunder for movies.
    Ill be buying in the $450.00 - $650 range. Im listening...
    Thank you.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Waudio View Post
    5 posts.I get to speak now. Wheee...
    I value experienced opinions. Im hear mainly to absorb information and to educate myself.
    1. Iwould like to upgrade my Yamaha RX V663 receiver to something within the $600.00 - $800.00 range. I watch movies but my passion is clear distinct and precise musical note. Jazz, blues, love horns. B&W DM 602 are my primary speakers. B&W all around actually. For now they stay. Im all ears and listening for input.

2. Ill be buying a sub to replace an Infinity PS210 this week. Im a purist. I want realism for music and thunder for movies.
    Ill be buying in the $450.00 - $650 range. Im listening...
    Thank you.
    You might want to think about a HSU VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer ($509). HSU VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer

I've owned a HSU for a very long time and I am very happy with it. They integrate well, the bass is tight, and it's one of the best bang for the buck subs out there.

That's one option in your price range.

You might want to look at SVS subs too.

Your receiver looks pretty good already, but I suppose there are better.

If you're interested...

I've owned the B&W 601 S2's and one thing I noticed is that there is a great deal of midrange coming from the bass port. There was very little foam on the inside to absorb these frequencies. Of course that would muddy the sound a little. You might want to try a little extra foam of better quality inside the box before you try upgrading your receiver. If you decide to do this, you can expect the bass to get a little tighter and the midrange to be a little clearer. IMO, Well worth the cost of the foam. Just so you know, it might seem that it has a little less bass, but if you listen, you should hear a more defined bass, less bloated
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 10-25-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Suspended
    If you do decide to up the receiver, I got an Onkyo 30.3 earlier this year for $700 that I am happy with as an HT secondary system. I have a different music setup. I'm not sure there are many 6-8 hundred dollar Purist receivers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by B&Waudio View Post
    Iwould like to upgrade my Yamaha RX V663 receiver to something within the $600.00 - $800.00 range.
    What is your objective? Going from a $550 receiver to a $600-$800 one isn't going to make much of a sonic difference. What do you use for source(s)? Run everything through a power conditioner?

rw

I agree, stepping up to an $800 AVR is a lateral move. Here are a few suggestions that will give you better sound. Consider buying a good DAC for your 2ch music. This should markedly improve the sound depending upon what CD player or DVD or BR player you are using for music. Look to the used market for a PS Audio Digilink III, used Benchmark. If you want to introduce some tubes to the sound, consider a Maverick Audio DAC/Pre. I have one of these, they cost $220 with the tube upgrade and it will cost you another $15 to up grade the op amps which is a must to get the most out of this very good sounding unit . It makes a great DAC and can be used as a preamp.

Welcome to Maverick Audio | TubeMagic D1 DAC | TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier

Amazon.com: PS Audio - Digital Link III Audio DAC: Electronics

REVIEW: PS Audio Digital Link III DAC Processors - JimOfOakCreek - Digital Drive

Another option is to use an amp switcher and buy a separate amp and preamp for your music. That way you can have 2 different systems sharing the same set of speakers.

Niles DPS-1 Black (FG00003) Amplifier to Speakers A-B Selector, In Stock at OneCall.com

If you are on a tight budget, consider this Emotiva sub-

Emotiva Ultra Series 12 Subwoofer with Studio Black Satin Lacquer Finish

Consider this Class D Audio amp for a great sounding 2ch amp-

Class D Audio SDS-254 Complete amp - Complete Amplifiers - PRODUCTS

I bought the kit version and it is a giant killer. It is great for jazz, has a great open airy sound, wide sound stage and tremendous tight, deep, well controlled bass. It pairs very well with that Maverick audio DAC,

Check out the reivews of the amp here-

$175 Class D amp--120 wpc
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Another option is to use an amp switcher and buy a separate amp and preamp for your music. That way you can have 2 different systems sharing the same set of speakers.

Niles DPS-1 Black (FG00003) Amplifier to Speakers A-B Selector, In Stock at OneCall.com
    Sorry to hijack. I find this piece of equipment interesting. Do you have this switcher in any of your systems or have you heard it in someone elses'?

I was just curious as to it's transparency, etc. in 2 channel mode.
    -------------------------
    Quad CDP-2
    Quad 99 Pre
    Quad 909 Amp
    Quad 21L Mains
    Quad L 2 Sub (used on occasion for 2.1)
    JW Audio Cryo Nova, Nebula and Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by salad 419 View Post
    Sorry to hijack. I find this piece of equipment interesting. Do you have this switcher in any of your systems or have you heard it in someone elses'?

I was just curious as to it's transparency, etc. in 2 channel mode.
    I don't have that one but I have used 2 other Niles products to switch between 2 amps and 1 set of speakers. These were auto sensing products that would switch automatically. Niles makes good gear and has great customer service. I bought a used product on Ebay that did not come with its walwart power supply. I called Niles and they sent me one free. Their tech dept is very helpful.

These are the 2 products that I have used-

Niles Audio Corporation

Niles Audio Corporation

I don't use them any more because I had a HT by pass switch installed in my Van Alstine Preamp.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the input.

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Welcome. If you want an amp that is musical for 2-channel listening yet accurate for movies, try a Rotel. Great synergy when matched with B&W's. I am a firm believer in trying before you buy, but I purchased a used Rotel 5.1 in mint condition based on the unanimous praise over the Rotel/B&W combo and I haven't looked back. I think you will be satisfied. Although, the newest models tend to run around $1100-1500 for an integrated receiver, you should be able to pick up a lightly used 1058 for under $1000. If HDMI and 192k upsampling DAC's are not essential, you can find 1055,56,57,67's all day long for $400-$700.

You can view what I'm running as listed in my signature. I must say, the combination is stunning with MITerminator 4 speaker cables and MIT AVT1 ic's on the arcam. They really help to tame the ever so slightly bright and forward nature of this setup as well as open up the soundstage.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T