Hearing concert hall sound again!

I haven't been able to listen to my multi-channel SACDs for a couple of years since my old Oppo quit playing them. I still wasn't hearing when I upgrade to a Blu-ray Panasonic and an Onkyo TX-SR580 receiver.

The old Oppo output 5.1 channel m/c via analog to my old Panny receiver, and that was enough to convince me of the benefits of m/c sound -- something reminiscent of a concert hall experience that you just don't get from stereo.

I missed that so I went out and got a low-cost Sony BDP-S580 that does play SACD outputting via HDMI. The Sony selectively outputs either DSD or PCM which is good because low to medium range receivers such as my Onkyo only handle PCM. The good new is that PCM input can be subject to full DSP treatment, including in my Onkyo's case, Audessey 2EQ.

Now I'm back listening to m/c, this time better than ever and closer than ever to real concert hall sound. Yesteday afternoon I listened to some very fine examples:

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Feanor,
    Just wait till you hear classical music on the Bluray format. Lately I have been listening to a lot of multichannel classical music. It is cool to feel transported into a church in Germany, or a concert hall in Switzerland. I feel like I have travelled to hear good music, as some recording are so good, it really is like you are there.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Feanor,
    Just wait till you hear classical music on the Bluray format. Lately I have been listening to a lot of multichannel classical music. It is cool to feel transported into a church in Germany, or a concert hall in Switzerland. I feel like I have travelled to hear good music, as some recording are so good, it really is like you are there.
    Sir T, looks like more & more Blu-ray classical is turning up and I'll be looking for titles that will complement my collection.

Right now I have no pure music Blu-rays, only a performance video and an opera. They are both great:

It seems to me that the SACD selection is still much large, (for classical music), than the Blu-ray, and the latter is still a bit more expensive.

But SACD or Blu-ray, the multi-channel experience is still a whole new and expanded experience vs. stereo. DSP time delay & equalization make the experience all that much more real. SACD was originally designed without consideration for DSP, (as I understand), but this is now available with very modestly priced equipment such as mine.

AV Veteran
    I also found some great blu-rays reviews on naxos.com.
    Happy with my new speakers :-) Take a look at my Kef 3005SE Review

Surprised the Oppo died?

Sorry to hear your Oppo died. What model was it and how old was it? Just curious.

Worf

Forum Regular

need to get more scad disks

great timing I just got my oppo 93 in the mail last week and one of the main reason is to play scad disks. I only have a few (Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Mile Davis and the lovely 9th by LVB but I want to expand my horizons with more classical.

However I do notice a range in sound quality, a couple of my scad's do not really sound all that much better so the reviews will be helpful.

I also want to try the bluray music.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Sorry to hear your Oppo died. What model was it and how old was it? Just curious.

Worf
    As I recall, it was a DV980, maybe; it's long gone now. I don't recall that it had HDMI, but then I didn't have an HDMI receiver at the time either.

I think it's important to take advantage of the EQ and time delay facilities of your receiver, therefore the best (or only?) route is to let your player do a DSD to PCM conversion and output via HDMI.

Quote Originally Posted by lomarica View Post
    great timing I just got my oppo 93 in the mail last week and one of the main reason is to play scad disks. I only have a few (Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Mile Davis and the lovely 9th by LVB but I want to expand my horizons with more classical.

However I do notice a range in sound quality, a couple of my scad's do not really sound all that much better so the reviews will be helpful.

I also want to try the bluray music.
    IO, I don't have a huge SACD collection myself, (unfortunately), but there is an excellent selection of Classical music on SACD.

In general terms, you'll get better sound from recordings made originally for multi-channel SACD rather than remasters of old recordings, e.g. from Deutsche Grammophon, Mercury, or RCA Living Stereo.

ArkivMusic has a huge select of Classical on SACD. Their recordings are pretty reliably good, though the recommendation can be more for performance than sound: see HERE.

BTW, for my personal list of 250 core classical works, (but not specific recordings), check HERE. For a much shorter list including recording suggestions, check HERE, (but these are mostly not SACD).

Forum Regular

thanks Feanor

I'll take a look at your lists

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    a good label to investigate is 2L:

2L - the Nordic Sound

sacd and blu are available. my first contact was 'immortal nystedt' first heard on kcrw.org. ethereal choral music. i bought it right away. it seems to only be available on hybrid sacd.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    a good label to investigate is 2L:

2L - the Nordic Sound

sacd and blu are available. my first contact was 'immortal nystedt' first heard on kcrw.org. ethereal choral music. i bought it right away. it seems to only be available on hybrid sacd.
    Their offerings do look interesting, HFT. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    agreed

Forum Regular

Hi Feanor

Your post is close to my problem which I just discovered when I tried to play Black Swan (Blu Ray) on my Oppo - 83 and got nothing but noise. I found it was set to bitstream output and when I changed it to LPCM and 2 channel out everything cleared up. Unfortunately I am confined to a 2 channel system in my apartment. Do I need to get a new preamp to handle bitstream at 192K? I am using an optical out into an Audio Alchemy DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by zolarsystem View Post
    Your post is close to my problem which I just discovered when I tried to play Black Swan (Blu Ray) on my Oppo - 83 and got nothing but noise. I found it was set to bitstream output and when I changed it to LPCM and 2 channel out everything cleared up. Unfortunately I am confined to a 2 channel system in my apartment. Do I need to get a new preamp to handle bitstream at 192K? I am using an optical out into an Audio Alchemy DAC.
    Hi, Zolar.

I'm really not sure. By "bitstream" I'm guessing you mean the native format of the source, i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS,etc., rather than that decoded to PCM. Most likely you will need a new receiver or preamp capbable of which ever native Blu-ray is providing. Can you provide more info on your present preamp, receiver, or whatever you're using?

Forum Regular
    good music man, love them !

Thread Information