Forum Regular

Wadia dock or better options

So when I connect my Ipod/iphone to my Myrad Pre-amp ($900) the sound is "good" but my cambridge cd player is much better

I understand the Wadia makes a product that takes the digital sound from the Ipod/Iphone

Are there any other products that can by pass the DA converter in the Iphone/Ipod that are cheaper than the Wadia?

thanks for looking
    Last edited by bipper; 10-13-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add info

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    So when I connect my Ipod/iphone to my Myrad Pre-amp ($900) the sound is "good" but my cambridge cd player is much better

I understand the Wadia makes a product that takes the digital sound from the Ipod/Iphone

Are there any other products that can by pass the DA converter in the Iphone/Ipod that are cheaper than the Wadia?

thanks for looking
    Have you looked into the B&W Zeppelin? Not sure if it is what you want.

iPod speakers, Apple iPod docking station - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W

Forum Regular
    I dont want a ipod dock with speakers. I already have a "audiophile" system and want to get a cleaner sound.

Suspended
    I dont want a ipod dock with speakers. I already have a "audiophile" system and want to get a cleaner sound.
    I don't have an ipod but there are plenty of units like this or cheaper.

Manley StingrayŽ iTubeŽ Stereo Integrated Amplifier

Suspended
    Onkyo makes one as well as Goldmund but the Wadia is a reputable product with good reviews.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

thanks for looking
    Is it safe to assume you have lossless files on your iPod? Otherwise, it's not quite a fair comparison of CD to iPod lossy.

Personally, I have an Apple Airport express (or an Apple TV, I have both arrangements) feeding an optical signal to a DAC. When I want to listen to music from my iPhone on my main system I simply stream it wirelessly from the iPhone to the AE or ATV. You might consider this solution cumbersome, but the $$ premium attached to all these specialized docks seems silly to me. Either Apple device is $99 and feeds whatever DAC or equipment I want downstream. One can focus the value on the DAC instead of some hybrid dock thingy. Plus you can still wander around with the iphone/ipod. Just a thought.
    TCA ATT GGA

That's good advice. The first step to quality sound is quality files.
    I like sulung tang.

Thread Information