So I installed my 120" screen the other night...

...and all the other pieces of my HT are coming together. I bought the screen from Visual Apex and it was only $400+ shipping, and it was really easy to assemble. They have a video on their website that shows you everything step-by-step and it was as easy as they made it look, and I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person you're going to meet.

I have my Epson Powerlite 8700UB ready to go, but have to complete some work in the ceiling before I can mount the sucker. I'm keeping the throw at their recommended 11'8", or as close as possible to that.

The Oppo BDP-93 is ready to roll, along with my Logitech Harmony One. I had all the other pieces to my audio system; Rotel RSP 1098, Adcom 5 channel and 2 channel amps (mines a 7.1 setup), and Paradigm speakers.

I'm having a small shelf built for the center channel speaker, so it won't be standing up as you see it in the picture. I also have to program the Harmony One but will wait until I have the Epson mounted before I get into that.

As for the room itself, it needs some decorating and I have to change the lighting as the previous owner installed some horrible 2' x 4' fluorescent lights in the basement. They do provide some excellent light while painting and setting up the HT equipment, but I can't wait to rip them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I installed my 120" screen the other night...-pa100168.jpg  
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Looking good. It's all coming together for you now...

Suspended
    Why build a shelf for the center? A lot of the reading I've done says vertical placement is closer to ideal than horizontal. Apparently MTM horizontal placement causes a lobing effect. Is your screen acoustical transparent? Any chance of placing it behind the screen?

Great news. I can't wait to read your first review.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Cool! How far back do you sit from the screen? I have a 106" and need to sit fairly far back to avoid eye strain.

Best regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

I don't think the placement will make a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls View Post
    Why build a shelf for the center? A lot of the reading I've done says vertical placement is closer to ideal than horizontal. Apparently MTM horizontal placement causes a lobing effect. Is your screen acoustical transparent? Any chance of placing it behind the screen?
    ...and it cannot go behind the screen. I think it will be more aesthetically pleasing, mostly because it will had the speaker wall-plate. I used the same one as the center for my previous HT room and placed it on its side with no audible issues.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

The room is 18' wide and 24' deep...

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley View Post
    Cool! How far back do you sit from the screen? I have a 106" and need to sit fairly far back to avoid eye strain.

Best regards,
    Stan
    ...so there's plenty of room to move back a bit. I have the seating at about 15' or so now but could move it back a little more. I think it will be just fine actually.

Forum Regular
    looking good, whats speakers do you use?

I mentioned Paradigms in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by 10538Overture View Post
    looking good, whats speakers do you use?
    To be more specific, I have their Studio 100s up front, their reference series DP-450s (di-poles) for the sides, their PDR 14 sub, and their LCRs for the center and rears.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Swish,
    It looking really good man!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Can I come over to watch The Devil Wears Prada?

Forum Regular
    Wow, looks great. One day perhaps I'll have the resources for these things...

You might be pleasantly surprised when you see what I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
    Wow, looks great. One day perhaps I'll have the resources for these things...
    Just to put this in perspective, my first rear-projection wide-screen TV was about $2300 and that was perhaps 8 years ago?

This screen was all of $440, including shipping, and the Epson projector was $1,850, so I paid about the same for them as I did for that old 53" TV.

You can spend a lot less on a projector and be quite satisfied. Epson makes a couple very good models selling for less than $1500.

Thread Information