Question help me make it sound better

i have:
    denon 2307ci
    adcom 555
    Dynaudio Audience 60's
    yahama center channel
    cheap $29 speakers for rear fill.
    klh 10" sub.

it kinda sounds flat, not bright. i think its my center channel.

Forum Regular
    i have a friend that will sell me his - Polk CS400 Center Channel for $100 or should i keepo looking?

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    The best thing you can do is to get a center channel from Dynaudio that matches your main speakers. They will integrate better. Well worth the cost.

If you use any center speaker that sounds different, it will not create a seamless sound stage.

Blackraven's advice is also good depending on how critical you are about HT. As he said, pay special attention to voice clarity for a center speaker.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 09-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Here's what you should consider doing. If you can't afford a Dynaudio center its not the end of the world. It all depends upon how anal you are about having matching speakers for HT use. I use a B&W center with my Magnepan fronts, but HT is just an after thought for me. 2ch music is what is important to me. While the B&W does not integrate well, it has very clear dialog and once I'm involved in a movie you don't notice that the speakers are different. I'm not overly criticla of HT. But getting back to you. Take home the Polk and compare it to the Yamaha. See which one sounds closer to the Dynaudio's or which one has the best sound for the all important dialog of the movies. Some center channel speakers are terrible with human speech and are difficult to understand unless you turn it up way loud! If you are going to use 7.1 though, I would keep all the rear channels the same at least.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    i cant find a Dynaudio's center channel used. if somebody can please post a link. the only one on ebay is like $17,800. no way. i would pay up to $300 for a nice center speaker.

Forum Regular
    how do Klipsch center compare. it sounded nice at best buy but not sure how it would all work together

Never mind, the ad has been removed.

However, here is one store that sells them, but nowhere near the $300 that you want to spend. Dedicated Audio - Multi Channel Speakers

Other than that, they do pop up every so often, so you might want to wait and keep checking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help me make it sound better-2-85.jpg  
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 10-02-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Forum Regular
    to bad i would have emailed him about it. why is it so hard to find this center channel?

Till you get a different center, you should use your receivers EQ adjustment on just the center (assuming you receiver allows that) to make it sound as close to your mains as possible.

Also make sure your distance and sound levels are set correctly.

Forum Regular
    i'm still looking for a new center. mine does not give me the sound that i'm looking for.

Forum Regular
    I've got an almost new Monitor Audio center I'll sell cheap but don't know how it will match with what you have. I'm selling it as I'm building a center to match my horns.

Forum Regular
    what model and and much shipped? any pictures?

I'm just curious...

zieglj01 on AVS forum suggested a Dynaudio X22 on ebay - Dynaudio X22 Center Speaker | eBay

Why not that one?

Forum Regular
    that you. i placed a bid on it. i also bid on a Paradigm CC 390‏. it sounds nice at my friends house but he has different speakers. but i like the full sound that it gives.

Rightaway, If you can't find a dynaudio center, just buy what sounds good to you. Even if you find a dynaudio center, if it is not in the same speaker model line then it may not match the sound of your models. Look for one that has good tone and clear dialog.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    Till you get a different center, you should use your receivers EQ adjustment on just the center (assuming you receiver allows that) to make it sound as close to your mains as possible.

Also make sure your distance and sound levels are set correctly.
    You cannot EQ a timbre match. Either the center speaker timbrally matches, or it does not. Using EQ to make that match will make the overall result worse. Timbre is usually matched in the midrange and tweeter, two areas where you SHOULD NOT use EQ at all.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    You cannot EQ a timbre match. Either the center speaker timbrally matches, or it does not. Using EQ to make that match will make the overall result worse. Timbre is usually matched in the midrange and tweeter, two areas where you SHOULD NOT use EQ at all.
    No one said it would be perfect, just better.

Hmmm...

I've never had a matching center. I did manage to score matching center for my Platinum Audio Studio 3's but they're currently doing basement duty. My first center was a Klipsch C-7, big, massive, twin 8's that was one great all round center. However my move to LCD required a low-pro center solution. I wound up going with a Boston Accoustics Center Channel that seems to match well with my current mains, ADS 1290's. ADS never made a center channel for my current mains soooo mix and match as always for me.

Worf

Forum Regular
    Get some better speakers yo

Forum Regular
    i ended up getting a Paradigm CC 390‏ center speaker. it sounds great. i just thought it would have more bass response with 4 5" speakers. but over all i like it and love the look.

Quote Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
    i ended up getting a Paradigm CC 390‏ center speaker. it sounds great. i just thought it would have more bass response with 4 5" speakers. but over all i like it and love the look.
    Great! As long as they work for you then you did the right thing. Congrats!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
    i have a friend that will sell me his - Polk CS400 Center Channel for $100 or should i keepo looking?
    That CS400 would work well with my legacy Polk SDA's, any chance your friend is still interested in selling his CS400?
    Yamaha RX-V2600, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony CDP-X555ES, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Velodyne F-1200, Polk SDA-1C, Polk RM-3000, Polk CS-100, Panasonic TC-P54V10, Sony BDP-S350

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    its exceedingly important to get a tonal match between the center and the left and right front channel speakers. i became painfully aware of the center when it did not do so. i removed the center speaker and rely on phantom center fill which is much better in comparison.

as far as i have heard, dynaudio speakers are very flat so that is what you must strive for.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    its exceedingly important to get a tonal match between the center and the left and right front channel speakers. i became painfully aware of the center when it did not do so. i removed the center speaker and rely on phantom center fill which is much better in comparison.

as far as i have heard, dynaudio speakers are very flat so that is what you must strive for.
    +1 on that.
    I don't have the space for a timbre matched esl center channel. Over the past few years I've tried several other speakers as a center channel. I've always gone back to the phantom center.
    OTOH, maybe a single Quad ESL57?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    how about a used martin logan?
    ...regards...tr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information