Musical Fidelity and their new Phono Stage!

what cha think?
    Musical Fidelity M1HPA Headphone Amplifier

Dont know why the link says headphone but click on it to see the phono stage

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    what cha think?
    Musical Fidelity M1HPA Headphone Amplifier

Dont know why the link says headphone but click on it to see the phono stage

I would like to hear one but the only price I see is 749 Euro. Which will become $1063 which is not a bad price for the level of flexibilty. Of course MF uses the Pound and I could not find a price which might indicate a truer US price. I do like the fact that it has balanced outputs to the Krell's balanced input. Since the Rega has been rewired and now has a seperate ground wire it can be used with phono stages with balanced outputs.

After two big changes in my system the speaker cables and the Grado Statement Sonata I think it will be a while before I am ready for any more new components.

Looks good and thanks for pointing it out.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL MM/MC phono stage

This Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL is a state of the art MM/MC phono stage with adjustable input capacitance, input resistance and RIAA/IEC equalisation curves with single ended and balanced outputs.

The M1 ViNL has extraordinary input flexibility. On MM it has 47k or 68k input impedance. Input capacitance has seven values; 50PF, 100PF, 150PF, 200PF, 250PF, 300PF, 350PF, 400PF. This extraordinary flexibility means perfect matching for almost any MM cartridge.

The MC stage has ultra flexible input resistance switching, 10R, 18R, 25R, 50R, 100R, 200R, 400R, 800R, 1600R and 47K.

The ViNL has switchable RIAA and IEC EQs.

The ViNL has another important feature; you can switch resistance, capacitance or equalisation curve whilst it is playing. This gives ViNL extraordinary flexibility and functionality.

And that's just the beginning! The ViNL's technical performance is no compromise, state of the art. The circuitry is based around our revered KW phono stage but, with modern technology, a setup from that incredible standard. We employ ultra low noise instrumentation amplifiers (the highest quality available). The RIAA EQ curve extends up to 50 KhZ within 0.2 dB. Distortion is almost non-existent and the noise is on the threshold of what can be achieved. The crosstalk is outstanding. In every technical parameter, the ViNL is state of the art.

The ViNL's incredible input flexibility and state of the art technical performance, result in an extraordinary product. As far as we can see the only problem is that it may not be expensive enough to be believable!
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well seeing I need a phono stage and I do like MF products I may pursue this product. But I am afraid it may not yet be available in America. And I think the only american dealer is AudioAdvisor.com and they don't have it on there site yet. Nor do they have the new CD transport yet either. (That's totally fine I can wait seeing I am broke after just buying another car....my 20 year old car finally died.)

All the MF M1 products look pretty good and the most expensive product in the M1 series is $1900 for the M1 - CLiC - Network Player in Black. Cant believe they ask for $100 more to get it in silver. So I think the phono stage will be cheaper....but we will see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    music direct has it listed:

Music Direct - MUSICAL FIDELITY - M1 VINL MM/MC PHONO STAGE

if i were to spend that much on a phono stage, that might be the one i went for as i have an array of cartridges mm and mc. the fact that you can optimize for MMs as well as MCs is tremendous. mm impedance loading is not usually addressed in phono sections these days.

decades ago, the spectro acoustics company made phono sections like that but the electronics of their preamps was opaque compared to their amplifiers which were not.

my questoin is what do the R settings represent? i would assume they would use ohm indications.
    ...regards...tr

I also have a few cartridges and would like to hear them at their specific requirements for loading. I know the Graham Slee Fanfare 3 which is not adjustable may not be the best choice for the Statement Sonata. This combo is the best sounding I have ever had in home. I wonder how much better dialed in with the MF the cart could sound. Of course I also think about the Grado phono preamp if it looks like the Sonata is going to be around for awhile.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I might just ask my dealer to let me borrow the Grado phono amp.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I might just ask my dealer to let me borrow the Grado phono amp.

I would be interested in your opinion. My only concern is the wooden case. Since I live close to a radio station I wonder if it would be shielded enough for the low output Statement Sonata cartridge.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information