slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar

Elephant 6 Collective redux

Riding on the shoulders of another thread that got little traction...
    I've been re-visiting some of the excellent Elephant 6 bands which I think loosely includes Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples In Stereo, The Gerbils, etc... Chunklet Industries is putting out deluxe reissues of the 2 Olivia T. Control lps in the next week or 2 (Dusk seems to be the go-to release but I'm a much bigger fan of the slightly darker and more Sunflower-era Beach Boys/Byrds-drawing Black Foliage).
    Also, Jeff Magnum has, quite out of left field, emerged as a major player in the music world lately - curating the latest ATP festival, playing shows all over the place, guesting on songs, and he just put up a website with a weekly streaming radio show and a pre-order for a self-released, vinyl only box set of Neutral Milk Hotel goodies! I took the plunge and am anxiously awaiting the November ship date. For me, it doesn't get much better than his In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea album...

What a coincidence! My first spin for this new-to-me CD.

Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Hmmm. Darker you say?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone View Post
    (Dusk seems to be the go-to release but I'm a much bigger fan of the slightly darker and more Sunflower-era Beach Boys/Byrds-drawing Black Foliage).
    Also, Jeff Magnum has, quite out of left field, emerged as a major player in the music world lately - curating the latest ATP festival, playing shows all over the place, guesting on songs, and he just put up a website with a weekly streaming radio show and a pre-order for a self-released, vinyl only box set of Neutral Milk Hotel goodies! I took the plunge and am anxiously awaiting the November ship date. For me, it doesn't get much better than his In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea album...
    I like dark and don't have that one. I do like Dusk (and Aeroplane!) but I need this one. Thanks for enticing me to part with more of my $.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

After two spins I gotta say while Black Foliage has its moments, I like Dusk At Cubist Castle a hell of a lot better. Obviously I'll need more time to let it fully sink in and I don't at all regret this purchase, I'm just stating my initial reactions.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Thread Information