Thread: Hersey III

Hersey III

I just the Hersey III review in Tone and I'm wickedly curious to hear them.

I know they have been out forever but maybe some of you who have heard them could give me some insight based off my affections/dislikes of these qualities.

I like a speaker that possess not just the spirit but the body of the music.

I don't like bloom on the blow end but I do like a solid and linear lower mid range.

High end extension isn't super critical as long as glass breaking still sounds like glass breaking and a metallic ring/string sounds metallic and cymbal decays to its finish.

Mid range should be as revealing as possible for the price point.

Bass doesn't have to go boom boom - even if it is in the music. I live in an apt building...

Micro dynamics are a must - I love hearing the extra effort put into a guitar string pluck or the emotion at the end of a lyric. Also being able to distinguish a piano and guitar combating for your attention.

The http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/ might be your best bet to get impressions/opinions with Heresy III.
    Styx

Main: Sansui G-7500, Technics SL-1700 (AT120E/Shure M97eX), Kenwood KD-2070 (Empire 5000HPT/Stanton 681EEE), Teac V-970X, Kenwood CD-206, Pioneer SR-303 & RG-9, Klipsch RF-3/EPI Magnus CD-55

L/R: HK-3490, HK FL-8385, HK Bridge II, Polk Monitor 70, Polk PSW-110 (2)

Suspended
    Adam, I have a set of the Heresy III. They are dynamic, lack bottom octave and I feel would sound best with a sub for balance, the mid bass is plump but makes a tom tom sound great. They shine with classic Rock but I don't think they will have the resolution you seek. Their sound leans more toward a Pro sound presentation but that's sort of been Klipsch's thing.

I recently set mine up in a pseudo biamp config and it seemed to improve them when removing the jumpers. I felt the bass hit harder and the mids glared less. I suspect the improvement is from eliminating interaction between the crossover for horns and woofer. If you listen to some I'll be interested in seeing your impression. I think the differences in our impression of the Omen Def was due to them being more critical to placement than one would think.

I heard them as well.....I keep coming back with the idea...those things will be better in a large hall hanging from the ceiling while used in a PA system. Thats pretty much what they are, but people keep wanting to turn them into some great audiophile gear.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 07-15-2011 at 04:04 AM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I've heard them and they seem veiled compared to a good full ranger.

Actually...the Heresy and Conwall speakers started as commercial speakers....
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have not heard the latest generation but when I listened to them in audio shops they helped me develop my prejudice against horns.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I have not heard the latest generation but when I listened to them in audio shops they helped me develop my prejudice against horns.
    As you know, not all horns sound alike. Klipsch did not do a very good job at matching the horn's volume and efficiency with that of the bass drivers. As you turn up the volume, the problem becomes worse. This is how Klipsch was able to get the efficiency of 98db per watt. My custom speakers horns and drivers have identical efficiency, use wood horns instead of metal or plastic(no horn resonances), and when the volume goes up, all of the drivers volume goes up together. When you combine this altogether, you hear a sound that sounds more like a Ribbon or Electrostatic speaker, and unlike a horn loaded speaker. The sound is neutral, but you get all of the dynamics and pop of a horn loaded speaker.

Klipsch has done a much better at driver matching the Palladium series, and the newer reference series in their lines.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I recently set mine up in a pseudo biamp config and it seemed to improve them when removing the jumpers. I felt the bass hit harder and the mids glared less. I suspect the improvement is from eliminating interaction between the crossover for horns and woofer. If you listen to some I'll be interested in seeing your impression. I think the differences in our impression of the Omen Def was due to them being more critical to placement than one would think.
    You bi-wired not bi-amped. You cannot bi-amp a Heresy. You also did not eliminate the interaction between the crossover for the horns and the woofer, the Heresy does not allow that at all.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs