Thread: Super 8

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Super 8

I'm a little surprised that there's no thread on this movie yet. Certainly some of you must have seen it by now.

From the moment that I heard that this was colaberation between JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg, I knew that I was going to see this flick. I was not disappointed. What a great film. It had all the quirky fun heartwarming elements of a Spielberg film with the suspense build-up that I've come to love from Abrams.

I have to admit that as a huge Lost fan, when the Bad Robot logo came up at the beginning of the credits I got a little nostalgic chill up my spine.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie. I thought that the trailers made it look an awful lot like Cloverfield and I thought it was more of a horror movie. But then a friend told me that she took her 10-yr-old daughter to see it and it was more like Stand By Me. Well, I would place it somewhere in the middle. Cloverfield meets Stand By Me, or Cloverfield for kids.

The train crash scene was a bit over the top, but had me on the edge of my seat and I never left that position. There were lots of suprises and a few times I thought the story line was going to be totally predictable but then it went in a different direction...which kept me totally engaged through the whole film.

Hubby and I both loved it! Four thumbs up.

Hmmm...

That's an awful lot of thumbs up from our Canadian Bureau. I may have to saddle up to this one. I've not been impressed with a lot of Speilbergs later offerings. However if you've recommend it that's close to being good enough for me.

Worf

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    That's an awful lot of thumbs up from our Canadian Bureau. I may have to saddle up to this one. I've not been impressed with a lot of Speilbergs later offerings. However if you've recommend it that's close to being good enough for me.

Worf
    I think that it's really more of a J.J. Abrams film than a Spielberg film. It's very well done. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away.

Take the Knucklehead. He'll love it!

Forum Regular
    Hello all,

I enjoyed the movie but I am too young to remember film-reels being called Super 8.

William Kramer

Forum Regular
    so is the verdict a yes go see it?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kobyjd View Post
    so is the verdict a yes go see it?
    definitely a movie that should be seen IN THEATERS.

- HAVE FUN!!!

Bill

Kam
    Very late to the game on this one, but it was worth seeing. What a fantastic summer movie that brought back that nostalgic 'feel' of summer movies having nothing to do with the period piece of the movie, but just that great 'summer blockbuster' movie feel to it that had more to do with characters and less than the actual event. I can't remember where I read it, but some filmmaker said they liked to make movies where the event was secondary to the characters (anyone remember this?) so if they dropped these characters on a boat with sea monster, or in an office building with the power out, it didn't matter, the audience would still be glued to the screen.
    I got that feeling from this movie. If the train wreck/alien side never came in, i'd still be interested in what happened to them. That 'rehearsal' scene by the train station was absolutely perfect! JJ killed it and brought together a great cast, not to mention Coach from FNL!
    /create

Just saw this movie a couple nights ago. I definitely recommend it as well. It had a nice plot in addition to some great special effects scenes.

Thread Information