Exclamation What great sounding VINYL albums can you recommend?

Hi, everybody,

So I'm also into VINYL now and given that my vinyl collection is not that big yet (about 300 LPs only at the moment, but increasing more and more everyday), I thought you could help me increase it with some suggestions of great sounding LPs.

From my yet small vinyl collection, these are some LPs I think sound great to my ears:

PINK FLOYD – Dark Side of the Moon

XTC – Oranges & Lemons

ROXY MUSIC – Avalon

STEELY DAN – Gaucho

DONALD F@GEN – The Nightfly

AMBROSIA – Rock Island

ARGENT – Nexus

ELOY – Floating

CAMEL – Breathless

ESPERANTO – Last Tango

SUPERTRAMP – Crime of the Century

CHRIS REA – The Road to Hell

PORCUPINE TREE – Signify / In Absentia / Recordings

OZRIC TENTACLES – Erpland / Strangeitude (going to get Curious Corn next month)

MICHAEL SHRIEVE – Stiletto (going to get Big Picture next month)

YELLOWJACKETS – Four Corners

EARL KLUGH – Whispers & Promises

STEVE KHAN & ROB MOUNSEY – Local Color

So, what should I look for on my next vinyl buys?

Thanks,
    Demetrio.

YELLO - Touch

By the way, I have read some very positive comments about the recording quality of this album:

=> YELLO - Touch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZFKmePcasA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IzF8aIYMi4

What can you say about it?

Regards,
    Demetrio.

Chicago IL
    PINK FLOYD – Dark Side of the Moon

My vintage gear!!! http://i48.tinypic.com/t66o1v.png

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I recently got a new headphone amp. and have been spinning a lot of vinyl with an ear towards esp. good sounding recordings. My highlights of late are:
    Beck - Sea Change (Mobile Fidelity Original Master Recording version) - gorgeous!
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (45rpm 2011 re-press)
    Jim O'Rourke - The Visitor
    James Blake - his R&S Records ep's sound great to me
    ps.. Also, new Opeth - Blackwater Park re-press, for heavier, is great-sounding!

I'll probably pop back by and ad more after I think a bit, but I have actually been sitting sround playing some vinyl this morning and noticing it sounding particularly good. So, I'll recommend a couple things I'm playing right now that really sound great on vinyl..First up this morning was Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue (Liberty pressing). Followed that up and am just now finishing up Boards of Canada: Music Has the Right to Children on Warp. Great sounding release. Both albums sound really good and the music is fantastic.

Been curious how that James Blake stuff sounds on vinyl.

Forum Regular
    Almost all of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) vinyl albums are remarkably good.
    You can find some of these on eBay.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

I find it interesting that nobody mentioned Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell. That really is a fantastic-sounding record. When someone wants to hear my audio system, that one always gets played. And then they usually go get themselves a copy of the music, too.

A suggestion of my own to add...check out Wynton Marsalis's classical recordings.

Of the stuff that you might enjoy all I can really think of is Dead Can Dance and Sisters Of Mercy are available on MoFi's silver label vinyl and sound gorgeous. On the plus side, they are all still available so it will only cost a leg and you get to keep the arm.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Shoot me your email address and I will send you my vinyl list, I'm selling off most all of it and still have a lot of cool ones...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    I find it interesting that nobody mentioned Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell. That really is a fantastic-sounding record. When someone wants to hear my audio system, that one always gets played. And then they usually go get themselves a copy of the music, too...
    Me too, though I heard a different album. I listened to a copy of John Coltrane, Kenny Burrell, and Tommy Flanagan's The Cats played on Oracle Delphi and Sim Audio gears with Reference 3a Grand Veenas...truly transcendent. The experience was like watching Giada De Laurentiis handle fruit: an expression of technical profieciency while vaguely erotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Of the stuff that you might enjoy all I can really think of is Dead Can Dance and Sisters Of Mercy are available on MoFi's silver label vinyl and sound gorgeous.
    Jim, please tell me this means there's a remastered version of Floodland out there...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Me too, though I heard a different album. I listened to a copy of John Coltrane, Kenny Burrell, and Tommy Flanagan's The Cats played on Oracle Delphi and Sim Audio gears with Reference 3a Grand Veenas...truly transcendent. The experience was like watching Giada De Laurentiis handle fruit: an expression of technical profieciency while vaguely erotic.

Jim, please tell me this means there's a remastered version of Floodland out there...
    Sorry, can't help with that one.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

My copy of Floodland has a little sticker on it saying "Pressed on High Quality Audiophile Vinyl."

Can't recall where I picked it up or know any details about it. Sounds pretty good, but nothing special and I don't think particularly rare or valuable. You can probably grab one cheap on Ebay.

Most of the Mobile Fidelity half speed masters sound really good, two that I have that stand out are
    Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
    Pink Floyd - Wish you were here & Meddle
    - I see alot of MFSL Lp's selling on Ebay.

I'm also just getting back into vinyl after living without a turntable for 25 years, some things I recently played that stood out were Alan Parsons I Robot and John Mayall The Turning Point.
    Happy spinning.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    My copy of Floodland has a little sticker on it saying "Pressed on High Quality Audiophile Vinyl."

Can't recall where I picked it up or know any details about it. Sounds pretty good, but nothing special and I don't think particularly rare or valuable. You can probably grab one cheap on Ebay.
    I'd be interested in comparison...some type of lossless copy of the vinyl versus the compact disc...you have the former I have the latter...perhaps some type of swap?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I may have time to mess with such a thing over the weekend. And since I've not listened to it in years, now I have a sudden urge to give it a spin.

Click the pic if you want the vinyl rip, all .wav files.

Thread Information