PS Audio Digital Link III or the DAC in my B&K Ref 50?

Hey all,

I have been using my PS Audio Dac for decoding my 2 channel stuff (from there going into my B&K unit's DIRECT input via balanced cables). All sounds great.

However, when wanting to play Dolby Digital content from my PC I have been having to pull the coax spdif cable out of the PS unit and plug it into the B&K unit which decodes DD. Not that this is a big deal but it got me to thinking....

Since both DACs (the PS Audio and the DAC built into the B&K unit) will decode a PCM stream up to 24/192 is there any advantage with using either DAC in terms of sound quality for 2 channel music? I realize that my ears are the ones here to do the testing but I wanted to tap into the collective experience, knowledge and opinions of my fellow ARers.

Could it be that the $2,000 B&K Preamp has a DAC which is as good as the $800 PS Audio unit? I can't find info on what DAC hardware the B&K unit uses to make a comparison.

Any knowledge or opinions you can share will be much appreciated!

Best,

J
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Honestly it depends on your opinion on which one sounds better in 2 channel. I have a Digi link 3 and love it and think It sounds better than many Dacs out there but it does not decode multichannel home theater which the B&K does so it comes into play which one sounds better to you and if the sound quality difference is worth switching cables every time you want 2 channel or multi channel. I know the digi link is a good dac and I personally have not Heard your B&K piece so i can not judge on that but I know it would be a pain to have to switch in between to do your theater or two channel listening. I would think the Digi link would sound better for 2 channel but how much I can not tell you and if it is worth the trouble is up to you.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information