AR Newbie Registered Member

outside home theater

Hey guys new here so my rents have this huge patio and they got a projector for movies and i am trying to think what speakers to use outside. The projector by the looks of it needs RCA connectors. Any ideas on what i can use like is there a surround system for outside that uses RCA?

Mutant from table 9
    Check out these guys. They are more insane than us: http://backyardtheater.com/forums/

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blando233
    Hey guys new here so my rents have this huge patio and they got a projector for movies and i am trying to think what speakers to use outside. The projector by the looks of it needs RCA connectors. Any ideas on what i can use like is there a surround system for outside that uses RCA?
    Before I upgraded to a HDMI based projector for my outdoor theater, I used a receiver that can decode DPL via its RCA analog inputs from the projector. It can be used to create the surround sound, and amplify it to send to the outdoor speakers of choice.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    It would be worth checking the manual to be sure no digital audio output is provided. If only stereo then as Sir T mention Dolby Pro Logic 2 is your next best thing. As such you should be able to pick up a used home theater receiver cheap with DPL2 as most want to upgrade to HDMI. I'd look for Onkyo, Marantz or Denon. Check your local www.craigslist.com if you have a branch close, classifieds here or some audio store websites that feature used gear like www.spearitsound.com

Speakers are a real personal thing, as brands sound so different and peoples taste runs different from one another. I would suggest listening to Klipsch as their speakers are used in many theaters. However, horns aren't for every one and they are a bit directional which could be a benefit in some applications. Klipsch is also extremely easy to drive, no need for big power. If the speakers need to be portable some of the pro sound brands that are on pole stands may be of interest. If you are going to mount them to be semi permanant I'm not sure who makes quality outside speakers. I know JBL makes some.

Thread Information