Visions Of Atlantis

Saw an ad for these guys in Hammer mag- ad copy sez they're symphonic metal (Symphony X, anyone?).

Wondering if they're any good- anyone heard 'em?

Edit: Couple of previews on this page: http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band...ns+Of+Atlantis

Visions of Atlantis (sometimes reduced to VoA) is a symphonic power metal band from Styria, Austria, founded in 2000. The original line-up consisted of Werner Fiedler (guitar), Mike Koren (bass), Christian Stani (vocals), Chris Kamper (keyboard), Nicole Bogner (vocals) and Thomas Caser (drums). Inspiration came both from successful symphonic power metal band Nightwish and from the myth of Atlantis. The equal combination of male and female vocals distinguishes Visions of Atlantis from Nightwish though and is more reminiscent of Sirenia or Lacuna Coil.

A first demo, Morning in Atlantis was released in 2000. In 2001 they signed with TTS Media Music/Black Arrow Productions, and in 2002 their first album, Eternal Endless Infinity was released. 2003 saw a change in line-up, replacing Christian Stani with Mario Plank and Chris Kamper with Miro Holly. Now with Napalm Records, Visions of Atlantis released their second album Cast Away in 2004.

In late 2005 Nicole Bogner left the band due to commitments elsewhere. She was replaced by Melissa Ferlaak (formerly with Aesma Daeva) and Wolfgang Koch replaced Werner Fiedler. In 2006 Martin Harb, who already played with VoA on their tour in Mexico in 2003, replaced Miro Holly.

In May 2007, VoA released their 3rd album Trinity, mastered at Finnvox studios and recorded at Bavarian Dreamscape Studios[1]).

In September 2007, the band began their first North American tour with Epica.

On November 28, 2007, a message was posted on the official VoA website saying that Melissa Ferlaak and Wolfgang Koch had left the band, both citing personal reasons (Ferlaak and Koch were married in May 2008).[2]

Following this Visions of Atlantis announced a few days later that their ex guitarist, Werner Fiedler, had rejoined the band. They were advertising on their website the position for a female vocalist for several months, and on September 3, 2008, they finally announced that they had found a new female singer; however, her identity wasn't revealed until February 1, 2009, as the 20-year old Austrian soprano vocalist Joanna Nieniewska.[3] The band also posted that they were already working on their fourth studio album.

On July 29, 2009, VoA announced that because of health problems, Joanna Nieniewska is no longer in the band but will continue to support VoA behind the scenes. The new singer is Maxi Nil from Greece.

On December 3, 2010, VoA announced the new title of their 4th studio album 'Delta'. It was released on February 25, 2011.

Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Wow, that's a lot of staff changes. I've never heard of them, but I do like me some symphonic metal. Sounds like it's worth checking out (except maybe for the femal vocalist).

Suspended
    That's what I was thinking as well as I read, so many personnel changes in just a short career. I like a good female singer and I like many of this genre, Epica, Tristania, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Therion, and so on but I don't understand why these bands feel they have to have the female singer thing. Tristania started out prodominently male, then split and now all female. I guess it's one of those record company things where X made it big like this so Y has to fit the mold and look. Sort of like what happened to Metel in the 80's with the big hair and make-up. It happens to most all comercial music though.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of female vocalists in metal bands. The female vox just doesn't work for me when combined with metal.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Funny, in the jazz world, you rarely see examples of bands or acts keeping the same line-ups. Many jazz fans don't even keep track.

As far as female leads in metal, it depends on the approach. When its a classically trained female lead whose soothing melodic vocals are juxtaposed with hard edged metallic onslaught, it can be very dramatic. But if its paint-peeling, screaming vox, then no. I don't even care for most dudes that growl or shout-sing in metal.

With much of today's metal and prog vocals being such an iffy proposition, or just plain old cookie-cutter boring like Mr P pointed out, might explain why my musical excursions lately have been of the instrumental/jazz variety.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information