Forum Regular

New setup/ upgrades

hello everybody, its been a while since i have posted anything on here and now that im settled into my new place i think its time to post something. This is some pictures of the new setup/ upgrades to my system. The last time i posted pictures was a couple of months ago where i was in a very small room, the room i am in now is 14 feet long and 10 and a half feet wide with a angled ceiling and the highest point being where my stereo is positioned. Please leave some feedback as to things i could possibly change or if u like it. Thanks everybody.

List of gear:

Rotel RA 1062
    Project Debut 3
    Monster power 2450
    Denon dvd 2930ci
    17 inch macbook pro
    Paradigm Monitor 9 v.6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New setup/ upgrades-dscn0953.jpg  
    Last edited by ryanianmckinnon; 03-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.

That looks very nice. A large throw rug will make a large difference. Hard wood floors and lots of bare walls make speakers sound harsh and shrill with lots of slap echo.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Thanks a lot, yeah im thinking about that getting something that is 2 feet wide coming out from the wall then like 8 feet wide maybe, im also going to try and put some more acoustic stuff on the wall to try and make it sound a little better. The way it is set up now sounds pretty good actually when i play vinyl there is lots of detail that i didnt hear before.

Forum Regular

Nice clean audio room!!

Like the looks but as Joe suggested a throw rug on the floor is a good idea. If not a throw rug then maybe a 3 ft square rug might enhance the bass some. What brand of gear is in the pic?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Looks very nice, great job putting it together. You should have many hours of audio enjoyment out of your system. I agree with the area rug suggestions. Nice system.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Le Roy:
    Its nice but the bass response could be a little better, a rug would be good or even two smaller rugs would work. The list of whats in the system is at the top of the picture sorry i might of put it in there after you replyed.

JohnMichael:

Thanks i have put alot of money into it and its not a bad system for being only 19. I love just relaxing on my bed and listening to some vinyl, it makes me very relaxed.For the rugs i might check out a carpet place and see if i can get some cheap old carpet that they dont want or i think i have some spare carpet in my garage.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Beats any system I had at 19 or even 29.......
    Very nice set-up!
    Congratulations!
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Cool

Very nice. and neat, wires well dressed. YOU WOULD BE SURPRIZED at how important "neat" is. A TWO CHANNEL system is a lot easier to wrangle.
    Congrats, I bet it sounds great.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    the kid:

Thanks a lot i have put lots of effort and money into this system, I love it when my dads friends come over and say WOW nice system.

pixelthis:

Thanks, the one thing i hate seeing in systems is wires everywhere it doesnt look good thats why i try and keep mine clean, it could be a little better but im happy with it the way it is for now. It definitely sounds great, when i put on my favourite song by led zeppelin or one of, no quarter on vinyl and just let it play, its the best feeling ever i cant describe it and when i close my eyes i feel like im actually there.

Cool

There is nothing quite an afternoon listening to your gear.
    A lot of peeps don't get that their system is a part of their life, and it needs to reflect that.
    You already realize what took years for me, namely that a system that looks like
    a soviet sattelite crashed in your living room detracts from the experience.
    Again, congrats.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Greenies for you, sir...

Wow.

I wish I'd had a system like that at 19 years old.

Like others I'd note that it's quite organized...a real pleasure to look at. Also, I'd say you did a comendable job with working within your budget and finding some system synergy. I've heard every piece of equipment in your kit and have no problem believing that it sounds first-rate. Nice work and thanks for sharing your audio journey with us...

---sticks
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    pixelthis:

Yeah i love my system but I don't base my life around it, I love music but other things are more important. But thanks a lot

bobsticks:

Thanks ive worked really hard for it and when i sit down and enjoy it i feel like its hard earned, Yeah i hate having stuff everywhere and look like crap i tried to at least, it all sounds great together, no problem i enjoy sharing what i love with everybody else

Update I put some matts under the speakers and the bass improved more than i thought. here is a picture of it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New setup/ upgrades-dscn0962.jpg  

Forum Regular

Good looking setup...

Can't put a price on neatly connected wiring.

As I've been getting used to my system over the past three years, I've found the two things that MOST effect any sound are speaker placement and room treatments. No matter how good the system every sounded at one point it was got better more absorbers/diffusors were added.

I've recently just moved into a bigger condo from a small apartment. In the apartment the stereo was in an oddly-shaped and smallish 10x12 room with 9ft ceilings. Music sound good with obvious limitations of poor speaker placement, distorted bass, small soundstage and width.

In the bigger 11x19 room with 14ft ceilings there is improved dynamics, openness, width and the whole lot. Get out your measuring tape and make sure those speakers are the same relative distance to each other from the back and side walls.

Cheers,

THOB
    Source: Musical Fidelity A5CD
    Pre: Stevens & Billington TVC
    Power: Heathkit W4; Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB splitter, '55 Sylvania 6SN7GTA driver, Russian 6P3SE outputs
    Speakers: Reference 3A Veena
    Interconnect: Tara Labs RSC Air 1
    Speaker Cable: Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000
    Power Cables: Furutech 314 with Oyaide 079 connectors
    Rack: Rack of Silence
    Room: well treated with panel absorbers

Forum Regular
    Nope it looks a lot nicer when it looks clean, and i have done that many times, im ocd about that stuff. its pretty much perfect where it is, soon i might get some more acoustic items but im not sure yet.

What kind of mats did you put under the speakers? What kind of feet do the speakers have?

Forum Regular
    the matts i put under it are like front door matt's kind of, they are carpeted on top but have a no slip surface on the bottom which is nice so they dont move.

For the bottoms of the speakers i have the spikes in with the rubber feet on them as i dont want the spikes going through the matts and wrecking the wood floor.

Thread Information