Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1 In 5 Viewers See No Difference Between HD & SD TV

Some of the guys who took this poll must be blind.

Nearly one out of five viewers cannot see the difference between high-definition (HD) and standard-def (SD) TV programmes, according to an informal online poll put up this month by UK-based computer magazine PC Advisor.

The PC Advisor web survey posed the question, “What do you think of HD TV?“. Out of 802 visitors who participated in the poll, 19% voted that “they can’t really see the difference”. 32.4% thought that high-def content is great, but a quarter (25.4% to be exact) of respondents said that it is not worth the extra money even though they like the effect.

8.4% of the respondents preferred “normal” standard-definition TV broadcast over high-def ones, although the increased costs of HD subscriptions and necessary equipments may have played a factor. The rest of the participants – 14.8% – said that they have never watched high-definition television programmes.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/poll/inde...ts&pid=3259615

My guess is that most of them are still using the wrong cables and/or don’t know that they need to switch to the HD channels to actually see HD broadcasts. Every time I go to my dad’s house, he’s always watching the lower channels. When I tell him that he’s not seeing HD he says, “But it says HD in the corner here. See?”
    Then there are those who don’t know to change the output on their cable box.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Yup yup...same thing goin' on at my folks' house.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Very poor demographics to ask such a question, if you read the excerpts you can tell that those poll do not watch much TV at all and live in an area where HD is not being pushed. Most didn't have a HDTV in their own homes, so this was base on seeing HD in a Hotel? No question regarding the differences in Blu Ray and Std DVD? on a HDTV and what type of programming was being watched? There are many channels even here in my area that are HD, put still showing programming that was shot for STD TV, so you get no better PQ and black bars all around. Even my wife has to admit now that she can see a differences as more and more of here favorite channels are going HD.

I would like to see the same poll given in America in a major city and see what the results would be. Between Japan and America, you will get a far different response than from the UK. IMHO
    Last edited by recoveryone; 03-01-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

"Informal online poll" = worthless hit trolling
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    "Informal online poll" = worthless hit trolling
    Well, this reputable web site from UK that test TVs didn't think it was a worthless poll trolling. They analyzed this poll and almost gave the same reasoning as GMichael, Bobsticks and Recoveryone did as to why some people might not see the difference.

Consider the one in 5 that didn't see the difference as Joe Six-Pack

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/1-in-...1102261037.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Well, this reputable web site from UK that test TVs didn't think it was a worthless poll trolling. They analyzed this poll and almost gave the same reasoning as GMichael, Bobsticks and Recoveryone did as to why some people might not see the difference.

Consider the one in 5 that didn't see the difference as Joe Six-Pack

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/1-in-...1102261037.htm
    HDTV Test's tests might be reputable, but that PC Advisor poll still has no value whatsoever, except the extra hits that this kind of sensational headline attracts. Last time I checked, HDTV Test was still an ad-supported site, right? I think their analysis and GM, Bobsticks, and RecoveryOne's responses are giving the poll way more credibility than it deserves.

Asking people under controlled conditions if they can see the difference between SD and HD is one thing, but to throw it into a totally uncontrolled online poll with no validation of the results is a pure bullcrap exercise. That anyone would put any value in these results, besides the extra ad clicks, is beyond me.

I mean, do we even know that everybody answering the poll has even seen an actual HD source? Consider that as recently as three years ago, about half of HDTV owners did not use any HD sources.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Romanticist Philosopher

But....

What percentage of the world is just plain morons? Those opinons need to be excluded. Some people are just plain crazy, too.

Morons might be too strong of a word. Uninfomed or not technical savy might be a better word.

For example, I was in Radioshack last month looking at an LCD and to see whether it have analog audo outout or not. After looking at back, the sale guy kept telling me that component have one video (green color) and two audio connection (Blue &Red).

He was not convinced he was wrong untill we went to computer and he pulled up description of component connection on wikipedia which show him all three connection are for video only. And the guy was suppose to sell this stuff.

The poll just point to the fact that not everybody is informed.

Romanticist Philosopher

Lightbulb I've seen it in action

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Morons might be too strong of a word. Uninfomed or not technical savy might be a better word.

For example, I was in Radioshack last month looking at an LCD and to see whether it have analog audo outout or not. After looking at back, the sale guy kept telling me that component have one video (green color) and two audio connection (Blue &Red).

He was not convinced he was wrong untill we went to computer and he pulled up description of component connection on wikipedia which show him all three connection are for video only. And the guy was suppose to sell this stuff.

The poll just point to the fact that not everybody is informed.
    I don't think moron is too strong a word. When you have an HDTV and an HD Cable Box and you still watch the standard def channel that is also broadcasting in HD you are a moron. When you have an HD cable box and continue to still watch TV with the RF/Coax cable even though you have component cable connected you are a moron. We all do moronic things in our lives and those sure are some of them. The other one is not having a free HD cable box when you have an HDTV. That makes me scratch my head and wonder what might be in the drinking water. I sit silently thinking but that is a SD box and that is an HDTV. OMG.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    I don't think moron is too strong a word. When you have an HDTV and an HD Cable Box and you still watch the standard def channel that is also broadcasting in HD you are a moron. When you have an HD cable box and continue to still watch TV with the RF/Coax cable even though you have component cable connected you are a moron. We all do moronic things in our lives and those sure are some of them. The other one is not having a free HD cable box when you have an HDTV. That makes me scratch my head and wonder what might be in the drinking water. I sit silently thinking but that is a SD box and that is an HDTV. OMG.....
    No, its not too strong a word at all.
    If these folks can see no diff between HD and SD, then they ought to save a ton of money
    by not buying HD. Thats possible, you know.
    SOME ARE CONTANKEROUS. They absolutely hate having "HD" "shoved"
    down their throats, don't like the expense.
    SOME DON'T CARE. I have seen so many purple and green people at various houses
    that I have stopped preaching. If that doesn't bother them...
    So the more things change the more they stay the same."NOBODY ever went broke
    underestimating the intelligence of the American public, or any public, for that matter.
    But tons have gone broke trying to sell quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I have seen so many purple and green people at various houses that I have stopped preaching.
    This why some of the blame have to fall on HDTV manufactures also. I mean just look at variety of default picture settings on your TV. If different factory settings don't blind you first, as you said you will go from purple to green poeple or something in between.

Couple that with the fact that not all HDTVs are created equal. I just received March issue of ConsumerReports and cheap HD picture's quality brands like Magnovox, Sylvania, Philips, Westinghouse were rated much inferior to brands like Sony or Samsung.

You couldn't possibly imagine how many people I've seen that used a composite cable to connect their "HD-box" to their gigantic tv...

and of course, no, you won't be seeing any difference then...

then again, a more interesting question would be how many people see/actually notice the quality difference between HDTV and blu-ray...
    I also meet a lot of people that think HDTV is "just as good", as blu ray, because it also says HD, just like blu ray...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

All of this speaks to, as Wooch referred to it, the lack of controls in the experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    I also meet a lot of people that think HDTV is "just as good", as blu ray, because it also says HD, just like blu ray...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    The owner of our company falls into this catagory. He believes that his HDTV is just as good as blu-ray and refuses to buy a BR player. I've asked him if he can see a difference between std TV and a DVD and he said yes. So I asked him why he still questions that BR would be better. I didn't get anywhere with him.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The owner of our company falls into this catagory. He believes that his HDTV is just as good as blu-ray and refuses to buy a BR player. I've asked him if he can see a difference between std TV and a DVD and he said yes. So I asked him why he still questions that BR would be better. I didn't get anywhere with him.
    Exactly.

Then again. he may just not have the time or the inclination to investigate. It may be premature to call someone a "moron" because of different priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Exactly.

Then again. he may just not have the time or the inclination to investigate. It may be premature to call someone a "moron" because of different priorities.
    He is far from a moron. He wouldn't be where he is today if he was. He just doesn't seem to want to be bothered with discs anymore. If he can’t download it, then it’s not worth his time. And then he justifies it by saying that theye're the same anyhow.

He is far from a moron. He wouldn't be where he is today if he was. He just doesn't seem to want to be bothered with discs anymore. If he can’t download it, then it’s not worth his time. And then he justifies it by saying that theye're the same anyhow.
    Yeah, that last little bit wasn't directed at you but the smarter-than-thou brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    All of this speaks to, as Wooch referred to it, the lack of controls in the experiment.
    Agreed. I find this to be the problem with most polls. The problem with the rest of the polls is too much control though. Sometimes questions can be worded in such a way that results in forcing one result over another.

Forum Regular
    I bought into the BR player and I don't see much a difference from my blue ray to DVD, both pluged into a plasma 1080i tv via HDMI. I also have a plasma 720p and I don't see much difference between 1080i and 720p. Maybe if you walk up close to the tv you can see the differences, but who the heck sits that close to 50 and 60" tvs.. So does that make me a moron. I personally think blue ray is BS. I got Avatar on BR and DVD and we tried to see the difference. I think I'll side with the morons this time instead of the audiofile geeks that see and hear everything different then us morons.

Quote Originally Posted by jjp735i
    I bought into the BR player and I don't see much a difference from my blue ray to DVD, both pluged into a plasma 1080i tv via HDMI. I also have a plasma 720p and I don't see much difference between 1080i and 720p. Maybe if you walk up close to the tv you can see the differences, but who the heck sits that close to 50 and 60" tvs.. So does that make me a moron. I personally think blue ray is BS. I got Avatar on BR and DVD and we tried to see the difference. I think I'll side with the morons this time instead of the audiofile geeks that see and hear everything different then us morons.
    I wasn't one of the guys calling you/them morons.

BR is 1080p. Without a 1080p display, you wouldn't see much difference.

It just an example of the people not being shown the right quality of gear or the right media. I remember this back when I sold audio in the 90's and we sold higher end stuff while the other stores in my home town sold bose mostly. people came into the shop already sold on the Bose concept and most I could convince through showing them what a real sound system should sound like and they would compare and be surprised at the difference that our products had over a run of the mill receiver running Bose speakers. Others would just plain look at the prices and think that we were trying to screw them out of money and walk out still thinking Bose was king and a run of the mill cheapo receiver was the way to go. It goes to show that some people are just satisfied with the bare minimum when it comes to tv and audio and they don't want to explore any higher than that. Plus you have a small percentage of people that don't want to change from what they have been listening to and watching for years and years and see these higher tech better items as a fad.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    You couldn't possibly imagine how many people I've seen that used a composite cable to connect their "HD-box" to their gigantic tv...

and of course, no, you won't be seeing any difference then...

then again, a more interesting question would be how many people see/actually notice the quality difference between HDTV and blu-ray...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    What happened when a friend got DIRECT tv, IDIOT INSTALLER used the composite,
    and ran the white/red to the receiver! My friend was upset he wasn't getting DD.
    When he changed over to UVERSE I again had to go over to "fix" what the so called installers did. MAINLY the same thing the Direct installers did.
    Why have all of this tech if your installer is going to shoot you in the foot?
    WHEN SOME have complained that "HD" looks just like "SD" I have pointed out that the reason for that is that they arent getting HD.. Then their jaw drops when I HOOK THINGS UP CORRECTLY.
    Sad, really.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jjp735i
    DON'T WANT TO GET INTO THIS AGAIN, but a 1080i pic loses half of its rez when things are moving. WHICH knocks it down to roughly 540 lines, which isn't really that much different
    from the 480p that a DVD player puts out.
    A BLU is capable of 1080p, 72hz(which is translated to 24p) and at these resolutions the picture is quite incredible. 1080i is really horse and buggy.
    With a 1080p you are getting 2,000,000 pixels, blows the doors off of 1080i.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    I wasn't one of the guys calling you/them morons.

BR is 1080p. Without a 1080p display, you wouldn't see much difference.
    I wasn't saying anyone was calling me a moron, just giving my view on things, but thanks for the tip on the 1080p, Maybe I need to switch to 1080p when I'm watching a blue ray and see. I'm a bit behind on all the new stuff, been quite some time since I have done some upgrading on the audio and video stuff. I have the new TV now and really need to upgrade my old Yamaha receiver that doesn't even have digital input, which I really need.

Thanks,

jjp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information